Sponsored by:

Right rear light detaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 06:12 AM
tonyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right rear light detaching

My right rear twilight seems to be detaching from its mounting. See attached. Any suggestions on repairing it or shall I get a new one. I'm hoping it's just the lens separating from the unit and I can superglue it.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:29 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

It looks to me like the whole unit is coming out and not just the lens.

The side that meets up with the reflector has two tabs on it, that slide in two mounting slots that are either part of the body or part of the reflector (can't remember now). If these two tabs are broken off, the unit will not hold properly as only one screw will hold it to the body of the car.

I would say pull the unit out, it is very easy with a single screw on the side to be undone. Just know there is a cable behind the unit you will need to disconnect if you want to move the unit to a workbench.

More photos once out of the car would help.

All this is going off memory, so I may be off with some details.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:01 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

Looks like mine when the lens was delaminating from the base of the light the two holes referenced above are in the body of the car
Old 09-08-2019, 12:47 AM
tonyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice- much appreciated. How easy is it to replace the unit after removal? I usually find it's way easier to get something out but returning it to the correct position is much more difficult.
At the moment I can drive her, should I get it out and not be able to replace it then I can't drive her to my mechanic. I'm tempted to give it a go if easy to reinsert.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:55 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc
Thanks for the advice- much appreciated. How easy is it to replace the unit after removal? I usually find it's way easier to get something out but returning it to the correct position is much more difficult.
At the moment I can drive her, should I get it out and not be able to replace it then I can't drive her to my mechanic. I'm tempted to give it a go if easy to reinsert.
It is easy. one one bolt hold the unit. Just give it a go.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:51 AM
Kappi2907
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Thing is if you replace one unit for the looks you need to change the left & middle unit.

Sets you back $990 but gives the backend of your 964 a 'fresh' look!

Quick Reply: Right rear light detaching