Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

voltage regulator most likely...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 11:44 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Default voltage regulator most likely...

well, when i start the car, the battery acts like it is low, slow turning over sometimes...just checked w/ multimeter and battery is getting charged up to, and including, +18 volts...this is the first time i have checked this and i don't know how long this hasbeen going on, can't have been too long as i have only just gotten her on the road last week, so i have disconnceted the battery as this cannot be good for anybody or anything in the car...can someone point me in the direction of DIY for regulator removal please, and i am looking for it also, and as always, thanks, kk
Old 09-06-2019, 12:14 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

the voltage regulator is on the back of the alternator and is also the brush holder. so you need to remove your alternator to get to it.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:15 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

so, i have just heard from a knowledgeable in the ways of porsche friend, that there is a conveniently placed hole in the shroud of the motor's cooling system that gives one access to the back of the alternator and, hence the voltage regulator...could this be so? i don't mean to doubt my knowledgeable friend, but it seems i would have heard about this before now, but...maybe not, as its kinda only something you would run across when your voltage regulator is running amuck...anyone...?
Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Well, that access thingy does not exist in my '90 964. I had to pull the alternator assembly to get to the regulator - it's actually not that hard. Disconnecting the battery before you start is a given. Once you get the band off that holds the assembly, you can tilt it forward and down a little to get to the three wires. Really no big deal.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:59 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
Well, that access thingy does not exist in my '90 964. I had to pull the alternator assembly to get to the regulator - it's actually not that hard. Disconnecting the battery before you start is a given. Once you get the band off that holds the assembly, you can tilt it forward and down a little to get to the three wires. Really no big deal.
It’s not on my MY 91 either
Old 09-07-2019, 08:52 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

ok, so my @knowledgeable friend maybe has a meister-ness or Phd in another field...obviously, as he doesn't even own a 964, so... we'll go with removing the band and tilting the alternator...i have just bought a Hella regulator here on amazon.de for +/- €20....i just hope i haven't cooked my battery...fingers crossed and pimal daumen(german sp)... i will let you all know how this turns out....cheers, kevin, and thanks for your replies
Old 09-07-2019, 09:00 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by kkswow12
ok, so my @knowledgeable friend maybe has a meister-ness or Phd in another field...obviously, as he doesn't even own a 964, so... we'll go with removing the band and tilting the alternator...i have just bought a Hella regulator here on amazon.de for +/- €20....i just hope i haven't cooked my battery...fingers crossed and pimal daumen(german sp)... i will let you all know how this turns out....cheers, kevin, and thanks for your replies
Batteries are cheap compared to the rest of our cars good luck 👍😎

Quick Reply: voltage regulator most likely...