Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 C2 Rookie Owner with Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

To Anthony: I'm going to leave everything you said alone. Clearly you're dealing with a bunch of personal issues and you need someone to take it out on. I'm sorry - I am not the cause of your bad life, and I'll leave it at that. You've now relegated yourself to a detractor from the peanut gallery, and that's fine. As a Rennlist site sponsor I pretty much have a duty to not head down the rabbit hole and keep the threads on topic.

To the OP: Please don't discount what I was suggesting, and it is very important to note that your rebuild perhaps didn't get done correctly because whereas I have seen a lot of stock motors leak, I have never seen a motor that was rebuilt 50K miles ago leak quite to that extent. What I was suggesting was that there was perhaps some sub standard work done to cause that much of an oil leak. I noticed some posters suggest that it was all par for the course with a 964, but I totally disagree - there is oil on the muffler for crying out loud. If that isn't a sub par rebuild, I don't know what is.

You do not need a new case. The case you have will be perfectly fine and you'd be very satisfied with even a simple reseal in the hands of a competent engine builder to make it right. Note, we don't offer any of these services but I can suggest a half a dozen people located throughout the country.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,206 Posts

^^^ LOL This is all water under the bridge for me. Nothing to loose here I spent thirty years in this field and worked summers since I was thirteen with a grandfather who's R&D pioneered the industry. I had some of the best foundryman in the country as my mentors but go ahead and discount what I am saying since it does not align with your needs.

To the OP I have seen more than my share and wouldn't loose sleep over it. This is so typical of these cars with leaking hoses and gaskets that can easily be addressed. Most likely they were never changed during the rebuild. Like I said There are a lot of shops that will tell you you need to split the case in instances like this. It's easy money and can't tell you how many I have reworked for people after being told they needed a rebuild. Granted without further investigation by cleaning and driving it for a while it is impossible to say but I always suggest doing the least invasive approach first. I saved this 993 owner from having an expensive engine rebuild and after running it the engine is still perfectly dry I have a 964 coming next week that will be the same situation. Several shops said he needs a rebuild and I can and will guarantee it does not. I will happily document the process to prove what I am saying.

GL
Old 08-16-2019, 12:02 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

Here my thoughts one of the posters above always has good advice and is willing to share his knowledge and the other seems to have a real problem with anyone having a different opinion than his I am Gods gift to the Porsche world attitude just saying
Old 08-16-2019, 12:10 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
. Several shops said he needs a rebuild and I can and will guarantee it does not. I will happily document the process to prove what I am saying.

GL
I’d very much like to see this documented with pics and your always insightful commentary.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:13 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ffc
Lots of those look like normal leak spots. Rocker cover gaskets, chain case lids, Chain adjuster lid etc. These were all covered in a great thread on another forum (http://perelet.com/cars/porsche/leaks_thread/1.html) which appears to be down at the moment. I would clean up as much as you can, make sure your oil levels are good, run the car for a while and see what re-appears. Also take the right rear wheel off and have a look at the pipes from the oil tank and around to the oil filter housing. If you aren't losing oil at too great a rate address seals and pipes as you go along.
The site in the link above has come back to life. Worth a look for this stuff.

Quick Reply: 1990 C2 Rookie Owner with Oil Leaks