Sponsored by:

Pressing Rear Hub into Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 07:40 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Pressing Rear Hub into Bearing?

Hey all, quick question. I pressed new bearing into my rear control arms and I'm about to now press the hub into the bearing. I am going to heat up the control arm and freeze the hub, but does anyone have a DIY on what they put together to press the hub into place? Thanks for any help!

Mr. Wolfe
Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about this?

http://www.paragon-products.com/v/vs...iMUdmVn61u4gGh
Old 07-31-2019, 05:36 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 18T_BT
That is a dead link.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 07-31-2019, 10:29 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.paragon-products.com/v/vs...ntructions.pdf
Old 08-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

That is bushings which are new.
I have the bearing pressed into the control arm and the control arm is installed. I now need to press the wheel hub into the bearing (that is already installed).

I probably just go need to by some all thread and figure it out. I was just assuming that someone has already done this leg work. Thanks.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 08-01-2019, 03:50 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

i use this tool on my BMW race cars (E36) which have the same style press the bearing in and then press the hub in on the rear axle of the car..

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-27213-Bearing-Remover-Installer/dp/B01MYZHQLF/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=bearing+hub+press+tool&qid=1564685353&s=gateway&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-27213-Bearing-Remover-Installer/dp/B01MYZHQLF/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=bearing+hub+press+tool&qid=1564685353&s=gateway&sr=8-3
Old 08-02-2019, 03:12 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

This contraption worked for me. Less than $20 from home depot from what I remember. I work the bearings hard and haven't had any issues. I do warm the control arm area with heat just to help, freezing the bearing doesn't hurt, and always a light oil/wd40 on the bearing to help it slip in. I rub the control arm surface with a scotchbrite and clean with ether too.

3/4" cast iron floor flange
1-1/4" flange
some iron "bushings" to decrease the size of the hole in the big flange
a long threaded rod, 3x nuts (you'll want to double nut in order to tighten), lots of washers
3" pvc coupling
big 50mm socket, or something with a ~55mm outer diameter

To pull the bearing out:
55mm socket behind the bearing, pvc coupling on top to pull the bearing into, large flange on top of the coupling, and the threaded rod through them all

To press bearing in:
small flange behind the bearing (sits behind the control arm flange), bearing, large flange on top of the bearing, threaded rod

Installer assembly, shown without the bearing in the middle. Also note small flange surface is facing wrong direction, flat side faces bearing.

Puller assembly, shown without the pvc cup
Old 08-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -nick
This contraption worked for me. Less than $20 from home depot from what I remember. I work the bearings hard and haven't had any issues. I do warm the control arm area with heat just to help, freezing the bearing doesn't hurt, and always a light oil/wd40 on the bearing to help it slip in. I rub the control arm surface with a scotchbrite and clean with ether too.

3/4" cast iron floor flange
1-1/4" flange
some iron "bushings" to decrease the size of the hole in the big flange
a long threaded rod, 3x nuts (you'll want to double nut in order to tighten), lots of washers
3" pvc coupling
big 50mm socket, or something with a ~55mm outer diameter

To pull the bearing out:
55mm socket behind the bearing, pvc coupling on top to pull the bearing into, large flange on top of the coupling, and the threaded rod through them all

To press bearing in:
small flange behind the bearing (sits behind the control arm flange), bearing, large flange on top of the bearing, threaded rod

Installer assembly, shown without the bearing in the middle. Also note small flange surface is facing wrong direction, flat side faces bearing.

Puller assembly, shown without the pvc cup
Awesome! Thanks Nick!

Mr. Wolfe

Quick Reply: Pressing Rear Hub into Bearing?