Sponsored by:

1992 964 C4 cab rear heater flap valves & servo issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 10:44 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Maybe I missed it, do your servos move correctly? Do you get heat when you press the recirc button? Is the heat coming from the fresh air side? I know you have the heat tubes disconnected in the back.

Can you recap what has been tried?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:10 AM
galaxie5004
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Still got a hot one!

Thanks for your reply!
So, the servos are definitely not working correctly and I’m pretty sure the CCU not working correctly.
I thought that removing the source of the heat - hot air from the heat exchangers through the flexi tubes would leave the cabin cool as there was no longer hot air coming from the rear. Is my assumption wrong?!
This is not my car but a friend’s so am looking a little silly having removed both flexi hot air pipes and assuring him his core temperature would stay in the safety zone whilst driving! I drove it before removing the tubes on a hot day and it was unbearable. It seems little different now. I don’t understand!
P
Old 09-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

If your servos are holding the heat flaps open, then you will get the ambient air and its associated temps coming in. The fans will pull air from the openings of the disconnected hoses and the fresh air inlet at the top of the hood.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:55 PM
galaxie5004
Intermediate

Default Still getting hot!

Apologies for the continuation of this conundrum!
You said “The fans will pull air from the openings of the disconnected hoses” but I’ve blocked off the openings on the flapper boxes with aluminium tape so theoretically no air should be being drawn into the cabin or heater box. Or am I missing another opening?!
Thanks again!
Paul.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:21 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 369 Posts

If you’ve disconnected both ducts from the heat exchanger and blocked them off (been there, done that) your front vent must be stuck open. Try taping over the vent and see if that solves the problem. Then read Tore’s thread on a proper fix for that servo.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:20 AM
galaxie5004
Intermediate

Default Taping the vent?

I’m sure you’re right - it are you suggesting taping over the vent on the hood?
Having delved into lots of forum pages on this subject I can find, I understand the servos control various flaps in the air box and the fresh air flap is probably open. Have you managed to remove the cover and look at the flap positions? The teeny little clips are so inaccessible, especially replacing them. The firewall bulkhead is so close to the airbox i can’t get my hand or any tools in there!
Or again, am I doing something wrong?!

Can’t believe the time I’ve spent on this - or you for that matter. It’s not even my car!!! ( I’m just a good friend and obsessed with sorting it!)

Thanks again.
P
Old 09-16-2019, 01:16 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Go back to my original suggestion in post #8. Once you've done that and ruled out the servos, you would start at the front and troubleshoot backwards through the system. Disconnecting the heat exchangers is usually the last thing you do.

Quick Reply: 1992 964 C4 cab rear heater flap valves & servo issues