Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing floor sound padding. 1991 c2.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:39 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Removing floor sound padding. 1991 c2.

Hello. My car. Has been non race car properly light-weighted. Door cars. Rear seats. Belt hardware. Cup pipe. Rear window wiper , fog lights and Minimal fill of washer fluid tank. And . No frunk carpeting. I’ve removed floor mats. Radio, Ash tray n passenger sun visor. I was thinking of carefully cutting the thick black rubber padding on floor. Front and rear. While leaving the carpeting in place. So not to destroy the originality and mostly otherwise stock look. Appreciate any comments on proper removal of padding. Will it tear. Upon pulling up. From glue. Etc. I’d like to save the padding in square /rectangular like pieces. I remove for easy replacement as needed.
Todd
Durham. NC
Old 06-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Sound mats

Depending on the condition of the sound mats. But it is unlikely you will get them out without tearing them. They are glued in, and after ~30 years...

i like my car “looking” original. That said, I think a little modernisation unseen is fine. Remove the sound mats and cleanup the glue. Fit some Dynmat. And manufacture some RS Boards or buy the Rennline track mats. carpet will fit nicely over the top with a nice flat surface under foot.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:58 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

The padding will not come out in one piece. The glue is tough to remove if you do. I found the best approach is not the healthiest but it is a trade. Less time using a more serious chemical or lots more time using a somewhat less unhealthy chemical.

Xylene straight out of the can onto a cloth and allowed to sit on the glued surface for a few minutes breaks down the adhesive and allows you to roll the glue up into little *****. I did an entire interior in under 2 hours. vs alternative products which can take days. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area and use proper safety precautions.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:40 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Plastic razors work great for getting the remaining glue residue out.

I've also seen people use dry ice to remove the padding. They just freeze it and it breaks out in pieces along with the glue. I've never tried that method, but it looks like the easiest route.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:53 PM
tgil
Pro

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
Plastic razors work great for getting the remaining glue residue out.

I've also seen people use dry ice to remove the padding. They just freeze it and it breaks out in pieces along with the glue. I've never tried that method, but it looks like the easiest route.
Thanks for all the responses. I’ll have to select one idea and try it. The interior. Is in excellent condition. So I don’t want to damage. Although I really dislike the heavy stick carpet. And padding in the 964 n 993.

Todd
Old 07-17-2019, 05:50 PM
tgil
Pro

I got very lucky. Was able to get my fingers. Completely under the 2 inch think padding. And gently. Work it off the floor. For the passenger side front I got it out in one piece. As well as the rear floors. Driver side. Had. Several smaller pieces. Pieces together. But nothing tore. Apart. With the rubber. Matting. I’d say at least 5lbs. Total. Front and rears.
I did not. Do anything with the carpeting. Which still remains. Along the. Rockers and. Center tunnel area.

Thanks again. For the responses

todd

Quick Reply: Removing floor sound padding. 1991 c2.