Clutch change in 964 C4

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 05:04 PM
HSB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Clutch change in 964 C4

Hi ,
I discovered that my car has the beginnings of "clutch slippage" disease today while driving home. I was wondering what is the life expectancy on these clutches-- the car has 58K ? I have only driven it for about 300 miles. I guess somethings are missed by a PPI.
Anyone out there change a C4 clutch by themselves ? I am considering doing this -- Am I crazy to think of doing this? Lastly any tips on doing the job without using the porsche 9111 tool. Thanks in advance Harpreet

PS I have experience in removing drivetrains from corvettes and 4x4 vehicles. I have not removed a Porsche engine yet.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If
Old 02-16-2004, 05:57 PM
ian c - u.k

but
Old 02-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Cool Clutch

HSB,

This is not something you want to do in your driveway. It will be a major undertaking, and will require a decent sized tool collection, but I replaced my C2 clutch no problem, easy, even without a manual. If you are wondering about your abilities then you may want to know that I am an ASE certified master tech through GM and Chrysler and that it was the first time I had ever worked on a 964 clutch. If you have the tools and knowledge to work on most modern 4x4's and Vettes then you can change it. Oh yea a car lift and air tools will definitely ease the process. It also helps if you've had front wheel drive clutch experience. The engine and trans have to come out together. It took me about 7hrs which included cleaning parts and replacing main crank and trans input shaft seals. Also while I had the engine out I found it easiest to adjust the valves and replace the power steering belt. I feel that I could do it again in about 3hrs maybe less, now that I know what to look for. I will be undertaking the project again real soon when the weather permits, to install a LWF, which I should have done the first time.

Hope this shed some light,
Duncan
Old 02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
HSB
Instructor

Thanks for the input. I have the basics with compressor,engine hoist welders, etc... I have done frame off restorations on a couple of stingrays but have yet to remove an engine from below. I was going to repace my flywheel, plugs,adjust valves etc... to make it worth the effort. I am intersted in the technique for lowering the engine and trans and the availability of the Porsche Tool. Maybe Duncan could come up to Virginia on a "free weekend" and give me a hand!!! Thanks again, Harpreet
Old 02-16-2004, 07:08 PM
gjvander
Rennlist Member

I did exactly the job you are proposing. Definitely need some fairly tall jack stands, more than one jack, and a helper will be necessary.

What is the 'Porsche Tool' you are referring to? You will need the special double-d drivers (similar to torx, but different) to remove half-shafts, clutch pressure plate and flywheel. All 3 are different sizes, I think. Get the special long version for the half-shafts driver - I bought the short one and its a pain to use. Also, the clutch alignment tool is handy, and so cheap...

You might want to consider upgrading the clutch fork bearings. Do a search for those on rennlist.

Regards,

Geo
Old 02-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Default Clutch

I am not far from VA. Norfolk, Suffolk, and VA Beach, they are only an hour away. The only problem is that I very rarely have a weekend to myself as I am currently a full time college student working and 24hrs a week on weekends at the local Hospital as a Radiology Asst. I got my ASE certification about 7 yrs ago when I was working for Gm and Chrysler. I turned in my tool belt for more money and a cleaner environment. Now I’m in pursuit of even greener pastures. However, I will be perfectly be willing to help in any way I can with your project.

I highly recommend a car lift; you need no special Porsche tools.

After you are sure that you have every wire and hose disconnected lower the car down with wheels off. Place jack stands (3) under engine and trans. Continue to lower car so that the trans and engine are settled on to the stands. Take out the two rear engine mount bolts and the trans bolt in front. Raise the car. At this point you can let the tranny end down onto a dolly and use a tranny floor jack to remove the jack stands from under the engine. Separation will be the objective at this point. Youwill have to do some finesse to get the two back together. The most challenging part for me was the release bearing replacement. I am sure they make a tool for this, but with some resourcefulness and contortionism I managed to do it. Don’t lose any of the needle bearings from the release arm shaft. Inspect the shaft for wear and replace if necessary. My car had 68,000 on it and my shaft was fine.

Duncan
Old 02-16-2004, 07:45 PM
HSB
Instructor

GEO,
The tool I was referring to is a three piece setup which is "t" shaped and placed under the engine and transmission and used to stabilize the drivetrain while being lowered. I think the part no. is 9111.

Duncan,
Thanks for the info. and advice . Unfortunately I do not have a lift and will be using floor jacks and jackstands. I had been told previously the Porsche tool makes it easier to lower the drivetrain in the C-4's. As long as I drive modeately it does not slip ;however , if you get down on it you can intermittently feel the slip. Well it's not my daily driver so there is no immediate urgency. If I do it it will probably be a several day project.
Thanks again , Harpreet

Quick Reply: Clutch change in 964 C4