Sponsored by:

Rare Carrera 4 Rs Lightweight For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:34 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Christer
Thanks for that, I would imagine that white is not a bad colour for that car. Certainly is not going to detract from the value IMHO. When did you acquire it? Where did you acquire it?What did you pay? If in another currency what was the rate? What were the details of the £90k deal that you referred to? What is your valuation based on?

I am not scoring points now, just curious.

30 miles duly noted.
30 kilometers not 30 miles
Old 02-16-2004, 10:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

I hate to step in but with all this arguing going on we have seen nothing of the vehicle (unless this is in the Deleted areas) The link you posted does not appear to work. I don't see why asking a premium for a rare car is so wrong. Look at the prices of the MY94 3.6 turbo S. One recently sold for $140,000 another for close to $100,000 They average around $120,000. These cars had considerable mileage in comparison. That gives them a selling price of $40 - $80,000 over stock 3.6 turbos, and they are selling. The cars are unique but other than the front fenders and some minor engine mods the cars are very similar to the stock turbo.

A point that comes to mind is how has the car been maintained all these years with only thirty KM on it. We all know that a car sitting idle can be as devastating as to many miles. If she has not been driven what is the overall condition of the mechanics of the vehicle? How can a buyer be assured that the car is not full of gremlins.

I am sure you know the value of your cars, I guess I would like to be sold on it other than trusting your opinion.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember seeing this car in an issue of 911PW and Adrian's book has a page on it. Didn't Brian also post details of this and his collection on this board a couple of years ago. IIRC it has the 959 Dakar transmission and was specially built (along with 9 others) by Porsche Racing. Did I also see that the Dakar transmission limits the top speed to something like 130mph? What was the goal of the Porsche Racing team behind this? Was it rallying?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Christer
Race Car

Anthony, there is nothing wrong with a premium on rare cars. 100k and 140k? That is a huge difference and I know which I would rather pay. Forget the maintenance, this is one car that will never be driven anyway IMHO.

It would be interesting to see some more details as I have already requested.

Out of interest, what gains have been made by investors in 959's? If one bought at list price when new, how much has one made in the last 14 years or so?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Anthony, there is nothing wrong with a premium on rare cars. 100k and 140k? That is a huge difference and I know which I would rather pay. Forget the maintenance, this is one car that will never be driven anyway IMHO.
The $140,00 was because it was Michael Jordons car. So there is some history. It was also a more desirable color combo.

I can't agree on the maintenance. For it to be worth a high premium for rarity & low mileage the car has to be mechanically sound. Other wise the price should reflect it's mechanical state. Rarety will bring dollars but if the engine is no good because it has seized from lack of use than what is the value in it.

At any of these car shows or auctions the cars still have to be able to move under there own power. I have a friend who has had some of his cars exhibited on the show Victory by Design. His opinion is that value is directly related to authenticity and driveability.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Christer
Race Car

Look, I think we agree - but we are going round in circles. Brian has now left, so I guess we will never know any worthwhile details (like it being Michael Jordan's car, like it is driveable).

All I know is that from an investment point of view, this car would suck quite a lot IMHO.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

I'd still like to know what Porsche Racing's original purpose for building these cars was? Any ideas as to what racing series in 1991 that these would have been good for?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Who's Michael Jordan?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:54 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well done, Christer! Well done!

One comment on the Michael Jordan car. It seems everywhere I run around Chicagoland, I run into a Michael Jordan car. Hmmm? Aside from this 965, I've also seen his 959 in storage. There was even a Walter Payton 996TT on display at one of the dealerships for a while. IMHO, these were not valued acquisitions but merely toys for these mega-rich athletes and as such, not as collectible.

Would you really want David Beckham's old Lotus or whatever? He probably drove the snot out of it. Now if Posh frequently rode in it ... well, that would be a different story.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Out of interest, what gains have been made by investors in 959's? If one bought at list price when new, how much has one made in the last 14 years or so?
Did you see the recent article in 911PW with a silver 959 in the UK with 16k miles on the clock for sale at ukpounds 95k (both mileage and price are IIRC)? If thats typical then it doesn't look like European 959s have been a great financial investment. Still a beautiful car but with maintenance bills that would buy a nice cottage,,,,
Old 02-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ruairidh
Did you see the recent article in 911PW with a silver 959 in the UK with 16k miles on the clock for sale at ukpounds 95k (both mileage and price are IIRC)? If thats typical then it doesn't look like European 959s have been a great financial investment. Still a beautiful car but with maintenance bills that would buy a nice cottage,,,,
Let me know where I can buy a nice cottage for £95k, please...
Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 PM
BRIAN BURROWS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Phil Raby
FRANCE . . .

Which is where we came in

BB
Old 02-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Phil Raby
So what is it with the mood this morning? Folks didn't get the valentines card they wanted? .............and re-read my post - I was referring to the maintenance charges of the 959 which your rag indicated were out of this world......
Old 02-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Ruairidh
So what is it with the mood this morning? Folks didn't get the valentines card they wanted? .............and re-read my post - I was referring to the maintenance charges of the 959 which your rag indicated were out of this world......
Now who's in a mood?
Old 02-16-2004, 12:18 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Look, I think we agree - but we are going round in circles. Brian has now left, so I guess we will never know any worthwhile details (like it being Michael Jordan's car, like it is driveable).

All I know is that from an investment point of view, this car would suck quite a lot IMHO.
Ok fair enough.

What in your opinion would make a good investment in rare Pcars

Quick Reply: Rare Carrera 4 Rs Lightweight For Sale