Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rare Carrera 4 Rs Lightweight For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I should as Brian told me: 'Shut the f**k up' now?

What if I also apologise for being 'clueless' Brian? Or is there anything else you want to call me whilst you are flying by?
Old 02-16-2004, 09:12 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by BRIAN BURROWS
Thanks for the hospitality guys

Have a nice life/lives

Brian
Doh! I go away for an hour or so, and when I get back everything's been edited...I clearly missed some fun!

IMHO, forum etiquette is no different to walking into a bar for the first time. You don't go in, announce you're an expert and tell the first person that speaks to you to shut the f**k up. Then moan about the hospitality!
Old 02-16-2004, 09:16 AM
BRIAN BURROWS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by robmug
Doh! I go away for an hour or so, and when I get back everything's been edited...I clearly missed some fun!

IMHO, forum etiquette is no different to walking into a bar for the first time. You don't go in, announce you're an expert and tell the first person that speaks to you to shut the f**k up. Then moan about the hospitality!
And I'd have thought one wouldn't INSTANTLY take the **** out of the price someone is asking for THEIR car either . . . it cuts both ways

No matter . . .

Lesson learned
Old 02-16-2004, 09:19 AM
BRIAN BURROWS
Advanced

Originally posted by robmug

PS: Nowhere did I claim to be an expert . . . I just said it was the RAREST Porsche ever made . . . I should have said (typed) RAREST 911 . . . please accept my deepest, deepest apologies for mis-wording my post . . .

As I said . . . lesson learned

Brian
Old 02-16-2004, 09:49 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Did I fall asleep and wake up on the 993 board?

Brian, please stick around. I was wondering only the other day what had become of you.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:01 AM
BRIAN BURROWS
Advanced

Originally posted by John Boggiano
Did I fall asleep and wake up on the 993 board?

Brian, please stick around. I was wondering only the other day what had become of you.
No offence dude . . . but I think I'll stick with VW people from now on

I'm sure there are some decent folk on here . . . but the VERY first reply was a 'dig' at the price I am asking for the C4 RS Lightweight . . . I just wouldn't have done that . . . even IF I had no idea what the car in question was/is worth . . .

Using the 'pub' analogy . . . face-to-face in a bar as it were . . . I WOULD have told him to STFU . . . anyway . . . no matter . . .

I'm emigrating (France). . . and I need to sell some of my cars . . . a couple of the '73 RSs a RHD M472 and a LHD M471. . . my '69 912, '72 'T' and '70 2.2S . . . along with the aforementioned C4RS . . .

I thought there might be a 'Rennlist' member who'd be interested . . .

Interested in buying/owning I mean . . . not interested in trying to score points

Anyhoos . . . have fun . . . summer's coming

Brian
Old 02-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

HI Brian,

I don't want to sound pickey but....

I think there were just 10 911SC's specially built in Safari Specification.
There were also just 10 911/935 Turbos built for the US market in '78.
If we want to go into race cars there was the one 911 IMSA car built by the factory in whatever year ...and ...and...and ... in fact there are lots of rare cars and lots of "rare" 911s.

We can even get really silly and talk about the six 911/964 C4's that were painted "cassis-silber".

The point is you're offering a valuable car for sale and you're defensive to the point of being agressive about it's value. This creates more questions than answers.

Value is a subjective item and, as such, the only true measure if the value of your car is the price you get for it. Not what Christer says, not what I think, just the price.

Good luck with the sale - but if you want to get your price IMHO I'd advise work on reducing your sensitivity to comments.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:05 AM
BRIAN BURROWS
Advanced

Irishdriver scores another point

Try here: http://pedantics-R-us.com

Old 02-16-2004, 10:06 AM
Christer
Race Car

I should perhaps point out that I wasn't necessarily 'taking the ****' out of the price of your car in particular. I had a good laugh because IMHO there are 2 reasons to buy this (type of)car:

1. It is rare. It has arguably historic value. It is collectible. It is possibly an investment.

2. I just wanted to drive something different at a hugely inflated price.

If we look at it from point 1:

How does one look at this from an investment angle?

Well, my experience tells me that I should above all buy at the right price. As there is no pool of liquidity as such for this particular instrument, how do we do this? We could look around at the asking prices of other similar instruments in the market. We could look at the history (or past performance, if you like). I understand from you Brian that another C4 Lightweight was sold for £90k. When? What were the complete details of the deal with regards to mileage, options (if applicable), colour etc. - these are all hugely important. To state that yours is bargain for £67K because another car (with no details given) sold for £90K at some time is total bollocks. Going back to past performance. When did you acquire it and at what price/milage? Where? What were the exchange rates?

How does one look at this from a collection (of toys) viewpoint?

To me, this one is much simpler. The collector will decide whether he wants something or not. This is a purely emotional decision. This will be very similar to the prospective owner who just wants something different in pont 2 above, or someone that values the 'history' behind it and so on.

The reason I laugh at this sort of price for an almost 14 year old car with 30000km on the clock is based purely on my 'professional' judgement and in any case IMHO. I don't suppose that you want to get involved in a discussion on this sort of level of detail, but it would be interesting. My recommendation would be that as the current owner needs to sell that this is further factored in to any buy price.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Christer
Race Car

p.s.

I just read your point about meeting guys in bars and scoring points. I am not trying to score points. I am merely trying to put a different viewpoint across. The other point I know nothing about.

Actually, let me picture this. We (not just us two I hope) are in a bar with aload of other Porschephiles. You tell us about your car for sale and the price. I laugh and say with a smile on my face that I cannot believe it. You immediately tell me to shut the f**k up and tell me I am clueless. I guess it is not just your 'forum protocol' that needs work?

Anyway, I look forward to learning more about etiquette and prices of rare Porsche models. I mean 911 models. I mean 911 C4 models. I mean 911 C4 Lightweight models. I mean 911 C4 Lightweight models of blue colour. I mean.....

Now I am trying to score points!
Old 02-16-2004, 10:20 AM
BRIAN BURROWS
Advanced

Originally posted by Christer

The reason I laugh at this sort of price for an almost 14 year old car with 30000km on the clock is based purely . . . etc.
That's THIRTY Kilometres . . . THREE-ZERO . . . 30 . . . as in 'delivery mileage'

And it's WHITE

See . . . you just LEARNED something

And the point-scoring reference wasn't aimed at you . . . but if the cap fits . . .
Old 02-16-2004, 10:23 AM
BRIAN BURROWS
Advanced

Originally posted by Christer
Anyway, I look forward to learning more about etiquette and prices of rare Porsche models. I mean 911 models. I mean 911 C4 models. I mean 911 C4 Lightweight models. I mean 911 C4 Lightweight models of blue colour. I mean.....
Don't hold your breath
Old 02-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Hey, who started the point scoring anyway...? (This is fun !!)

Brian, not that you'd stoop to scoring points but I'm prepared to bet you'll get the last word !!!

Christer, slipping up on the kms was a cheap point to lose, you need to check you details or you'll be told to STFU again.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a wonderful thread. Who needs Dove and Adrian, eh?

Brian, how about we do some Tried & Tested for 911&PW?

Cheers
Old 02-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Christer
Race Car

Thanks for that, I would imagine that white is not a bad colour for that car. Certainly is not going to detract from the value IMHO. When did you acquire it? Where did you acquire it?What did you pay? If in another currency what was the rate? What were the details of the £90k deal that you referred to? What is your valuation based on?

I am not scoring points now, just curious.

30 miles duly noted.

Quick Reply: Rare Carrera 4 Rs Lightweight For Sale