Sponsored by:

Genuine Porsche Parts Warranty Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:38 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Genuine Porsche Parts Warranty Questions

I purchased new tail lights and center reflector from Sunset about a year and a half ago. The center reflector has started to delaminate/crack. I contacted Sunset and they said to contact my local dealer for a return. I called Porsche of San Diego and they blew me off and said to contact the dealer I purchased it from. I contacted Sunset again and I feel like they gave me the runaround and not the service I would expect. I would need to ship them my center reflector and wait a few weeks for the warranty claim to be approved before I could be given a replacement. I sent them an email of the damage and never heard back. As far as I know the parts come with a 2 year warranty. Being a luxury brand I guess I would have expected them to go out of their way to make it right. Has anyone else had issues like this? I just want to get my expensive center reflector replaced before the warranty runs out in November. I am a little annoyed that it would start to delaminate so quickly as well since the car sits in the garage mostly and Ive only driven it 2000-3000miles in the past two years.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:01 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't think its really the guy behind the parts counter @ Porsche of San Diego's choice to make? The warranty is through PCNA and can be claimed from any Porsche dealership in North America.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 06-10-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If Sunset is confident that the warranty will be honored ask if you can order another and return the old one back for credit once the warranty gets approved.

On another note, how close is the rear lid in relation to the reflector? It looks kind close in that picture which could result in brief contact when closing the lid but it could just be the way the picture was taken.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:07 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

You will have to book the car in for a warranty claim check, take the car to them, let them find an excuse not to justify your claim and you can then go home.

I agree with Afshin about the rear lid, I think Porsche would pick up on this too

The 2 year warranty they offer is often completely worthless, Ive been stung a few times over the years.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

The rear lid is line up perfectly. It’s just a bad picture I quickly took with my phone in a hurry. I can’t just take the part off and take it to a dealership? I really don’t want to drop another 500$ on a stupid plastic reflector. I think it is heat related and a poor quality part. I looked at it last night after work and it’s actually a big crack now. You would think Sunset would chime in and offer up some help.I guess customer service is dead.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:13 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

You can see the gap is consistent all the way across the the engine cover. I replaced the reflector and taillights when my motive bleeder hose cracked and sprayed brake fluid all over the old one while working on my neighbors brakes.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Odd, it looks like it’s warping upwards. Did you try Hoehn or Porsche of San Diego? You might give both of them a try assuming you haven’t.

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2019, 04:40 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

I took it off this morning and I am going to take it to Hoehn tomorrow afterwork. It’s closer to my place. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:59 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Wow, that is bad, it really looks like its had a bash though, good luck!
Old 06-13-2019, 07:43 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I had same thing with the French made current production of tail lights/center and same story with Sunset, the local Porsche Dealer took case of things for me which is nice as they have never worked on my car and I dont buy much in the way of parts from them
Old 06-14-2019, 07:11 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Hats off to Hoehn Porsche in Carlsbad. I took it in there and Joseph Perry of the parts department went out of his way and took care of it. The new reflector is on order and will be here next week. Im stoked but and need to find a way to prevent it from happening again.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mystert
Hats off to Hoehn Porsche in Carlsbad. I took it in there and Joseph Perry of the parts department went out of his way and took care of it. The new reflector is on order and will be here next week. Im stoked but and need to find a way to prevent it from happening again.
Glad it worked out.

We should all try to convince Hoehn to match Sunset prices. Years ago the parts guy at Hoehn Mercedes agreed to a discount price on parts and when word got out he did tons of business. I have to believe the parts manager has some abilit to do this unless they don’t want to handle larger volume part orders?
Old 08-02-2020, 11:19 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I don’t see a relay being something someone would mod or replace so it seems highly unlikely that it is aftermarket unless someone was doing something odd.

Quick Reply: Genuine Porsche Parts Warranty Questions