Sponsored by:

Can these be replaced ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can these be replaced ??

Does anyone know if the screws that protrude from the underside of the car (I think there is 4-5 on each side) which are used to attatch each rocker panel to the underside of the car via those round plastic nuts are replaceable ? Mine are quite corroded and some appear to have no threads on them at all. I want to replace the black rubber strips on each rocker, but am afraid to take them off due to the rusty screws. Hope that makes sense. Regards, Brady
Old 02-14-2004, 04:55 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

This has cropped up before. I think it's possible, but not easy. I seem to remember it was JohnFM who had the problem so you could try contacting him.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:45 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have not replaced mine, but I am sure you can do it. I would first see if I could re-use them, but if one breaks, it can be restored.

I did not look under the coating, and I could be mistaken, but they appear to be stud-welded. They are shot in with a gun while electrically energized. The arc when they contacted the grounded metal welds them securely in place.

This means, of course, they must be cut off. If I had to replace them, I would cut them off flush with the surface and grind the nub smooth with the surface. Drill and tap for a threaded stud. Put a stop collar on the drill bit - you don't want to punch through and cut a cable bundle or brake line. While you have the hole open, spray some corrosion protection through the hole with a nozzle. I use a WD 40 spray nozzle on a CRC cold-galvanizing can. Careful about breathing fumes (been there, did not like it).

You may not have enough metal thickness to make the new stud secure. A little epoxy on the stud will make it very tight, but it will never be a strong as the welded stud. Therefore, the best answer is not to break them. Remove the rust and get cold galvanizing on the ones you keep. That will at least arrest the rust for a few more years.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Sounds very involving. I have the car booked in April to have a bit of corrosion fixed under my front windshield seal, I will have Jerry put the new rubber trim on the rockers and have him take a look at these screws. John and Springer3 thanks for the replies.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:49 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's the link to johnfm's post that John B is refering to. It concerns things of this sort.jonhfm oil leak and repair

Quick Reply: Can these be replaced ??