My new to me 1990 964 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 230 Posts
Default My new to me 1990 964 Targa

Hi,

I'm a long time Rennlister, but so far was mostly active in the 997 section.
However, I've been lusting for a Targa for years, it had to be a real, aircooled Targa and after test driving a '85 Targa I figured that that's not my cup of tea. So I finally saw the light and started looking for a 964 (no need to tell you guys why)
As you all know (good) 964 Targas are pretty much Unicorns by now and after seeing the prices of too many going into unobtanium I finally got lucky and got mine at bringatrailer two weeks ago.
She finally arrived here and now my 997 has a new friend in the garage.
I'm totally stoked and here's my project list
  • upgrade the D90 wheels to Cup2 (done), does anyone need good D90?
  • replace the dead Reno 2 radio with something modern (done), this was a pain in the a** as I had to create a new wiring harness
  • after upgrading the headunit i noticed that ALL speakers had disintegrated, new speakers on order
  • Upgrade to LED lights (ordered JW Speakers from John)
  • Give her a name, but I'm not allowed to do that until my daughter comes home from college ;-)
  • and maybe, just maybe upgrade the seats to heated 997 seats, (that I have sitting in the garage from a 997 project)
  • eventually de-amber the front signal lights
  • Monday in a week she will go to my trusted aircooled guy (Don's Autowerks) who will hopefully give her a clean bill of health
As I said I'm totally stoked, and super happy to finally have the car I was dreaming about for so long

Old 05-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

She looks great, nearly a twin to mine!

Enjoy and post more pics as you take them
Old 05-04-2019, 11:40 PM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful. I've had mine for about six weeks now. I'm slowly knocking out a handful of the same tasks. Haven't settled on headlights yet, but that can't wait much longer.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:09 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks great and you got a great deal on it. Enjoy.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:14 AM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

she looks awesome, send us more pictures and enjoy her!
Old 05-05-2019, 01:57 AM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Was this the Tiptronic automatic one on Bat? That went so cheap, even being an automatic you got a good deal, probably less than half of what you would have paid for a manual.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:32 AM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 05-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stutt911
Was this the Tiptronic automatic one on Bat? That went so cheap, even being an automatic you got a good deal, probably less than half of what you would have paid for a manual.
Same one and I agree it was a smoking deal.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stutt911
Yes, that was it. When I called the seller after the auction closed I almost apologized to him. He was not very happy and had expected much more and only lowered the reserve from $35k to $30k in the last minutes (my luck)
And the best is that I don't mind the tiptronic, it's actually fine. I just catch myself sometimes trying to change gears with paddle shifters like in my (PDK) 997.2 :-)
Old 05-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
Your wheels are not Cup 2’s but rather Cup Design C2. Any reason you settled on 16’s and not 17’s such as Cup 1’s. Also I’d suggest lowering the car to RoW height.
Really? I had no idea. What's the difference?
I was debating between 16" and 17" but I liked the look of the 16" more (yes I'm weird ;-)
Lowering to ROW? I guess that's done with springs. Maybe I'll do it when the shocks need replacement.
At the moment I very much enjoy driving one Porsche that does not scrape the front everytime I enter my driveway :-)
Old 05-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Love these Targas
Congrats
Old 06-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Little update about all the things I did in the meantime (pictures will follow, need to wash her first)
  • Audio update is complete, i settled for a Pioneer MVH-MS512BS Marine Digital Media Receiver, not perfect looking, but at least the lighting is orange and the display doesn't wash out in direct sunlight. Sometime in the future there might be a Porsche Classic Radio...
    Also all speakers (which had disintegrated) have been replaced with.Pioneer TS-G520 (front) and Polk Audio DB461P (rear)
  • Removed the Blaupunkt amp under the passenger seat, and now my battery drain seem to have stopped
  • Installed Rennline phone mount (the one which attaches to the clock)
  • Installed USB outlets in place of the cigarette lighter, following this thread and since I was already at it installed another (very stealthy) one in the ashtray
  • Replaced the original seats with heated 997 seats (using the Brey-Krause adapters), I had sitting around in my garage, now I have 2-stage heated seats, which add two months driving with the top down :-)
  • Replaced the original H5 headlights with CW Speaker LED lights with fluted lenses from Audette. The light is now up to par with modern cars and due to the fluted lenses the car still has the original look - highly recommended
    still struggling with making them fit pefectly
  • de-ambered the fronts markers and blinkers, the (cheap) clear lenses weren't a perfect fit and needed some convincing using a dremel
  • replaced the taillights with brand new ones from Suncoast
  • Installed T-LOCK keyless entry from BergvillFX, yeah not really necessary, but nice to have
Old 06-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Little update about all the things I did in the meantime (pictures will follow, need to wash her first)
  • Audio update is complete, i settled for a Pioneer MVH-MS512BS Marine Digital Media Receiver, not perfect looking, but at least the lighting is orange and the display doesn't wash out in direct sunlight. Sometime in the future there might be a Porsche Classic Radio...
    Also all speakers (which had disintegrated) have been replaced with.Pioneer TS-G520 (front) and Polk Audio DB461P (rear)
  • Removed the Blaupunkt amp under the passenger seat, and now my battery drain seem to have stopped
  • Installed Rennline phone mount (the one which attaches to the clock)
  • Installed USB outlets in place of the cigarette lighter, following this thread and since I was already at it installed another (very stealthy) one in the ashtray
  • Replaced the original seats with heated 997 seats (using the Brey-Krause adapters), I had sitting around in my garage, now I have 2-stage heated seats, which add two months driving with the top down :-)
  • Replaced the original H5 headlights with CW Speaker LED lights with fluted lenses from Audette. The light is now up to par with modern cars and due to the fluted lenses the car still has the original look - highly recommended
    still struggling with making them fit pefectly
  • de-ambered the fronts markers and blinkers, the (cheap) clear lenses weren't a perfect fit and needed some convincing using a dremel
  • replaced the taillights with brand new ones from Suncoast
  • Installed T-LOCK keyless entry from BergvillFX, yeah not really necessary, but nice to have
Wow you’ve been busy! Looking forward to seeing the pictures, especially the headlights.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Wow you’ve been busy! Looking forward to seeing the pictures, especially the headlights.
Not the full list of pictures but here are 3 pictures of the LED headlights with the fluted lenses
As you can see, you need to get super-close to detect the LED projectors (the JW Speaker have separate projectors for high and low beam), otherwise the lights look totally stock.
At one point I'll have the trim rings painted in the car color, the matte black doesn't make me too happy.

And to say it again, the lights are such a huge (safety) upgrade, they give me the same lighted area in front of my car as modern cars with OEM HID or LED headlights.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

That does look stock, thanks for posting. I agree the ring needs to be painted although it does likely match the Targa bar so probably not that bad.

Quick Reply: My new to me 1990 964 Targa