Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PORSCHE STABILITY MANAGEMENT (PSM)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 06:19 PM
johnhedge
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PORSCHE STABILITY MANAGEMENT (PSM)

Hi List,

A subject I'm researching for my 1990 RHD manual C2 964 coupe. Has anyone tried it? Can you buy an after market system (if so where)? Pros and cons of installation? Etc.

TIA,

John
Old 05-04-2019, 08:43 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

Well, almost anything is possible, if you have enough money and time, but, I would think that at a minimum, you'd need to:
1) redesign the braking system so that wheels can be individually braked electronically
2) convert the car to an electronically controlled throttle
3) integrate current sensors (and add additional sensors) so that the stability management computer can track the rotational speed of each wheel, engine speed, throttle position, lateral acceleration, yaw, steering wheel position, etc.
4) write custom stability management software or crack Porsche PSM software to allow the stability management computer to correctly cut throttle and apply braking force as required to correct for oversteer or understeer conditions
5) conduct testing or computational modeling to determine the correct parameters for the aforementioned software

In the end, however, I fear you'd be likely to end up with a relatively small benefit for a quite significant investment.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Have you already upgraded the suspension? If not I would start there first, it makes an IMMENSE difference in how the car handles, predictability and grip limits.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:48 PM
johnhedge
Track Day

Originally Posted by spartansix
Well, almost anything is possible, if you have enough money and time, but, I would think that at a minimum, you'd need to:
1) redesign the braking system so that wheels can be individually braked electronically
2) convert the car to an electronically controlled throttle
3) integrate current sensors (and add additional sensors) so that the stability management computer can track the rotational speed of each wheel, engine speed, throttle position, lateral acceleration, yaw, steering wheel position, etc.
4) write custom stability management software or crack Porsche PSM software to allow the stability management computer to correctly cut throttle and apply braking force as required to correct for oversteer or understeer conditions
5) conduct testing or computational modeling to determine the correct parameters for the aforementioned software

In the end, however, I fear you'd be likely to end up with a relatively small benefit for a quite significant investment.
All very good points and thanks for the effort.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:49 PM
johnhedge
Track Day

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Have you already upgraded the suspension? If not I would start there first, it makes an IMMENSE difference in how the car handles, predictability and grip limits.
Yes. The car has been slightly lowered with new shocks all round.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

The attraction of driving a 964 or an early 911 is the rawness and freedom of electronic assistance (mainly).
Old 05-04-2019, 08:47 PM
johnhedge
Track Day

Originally Posted by Spokes
The attraction of driving a 964 or an early 911 is the rawness and freedom of electronic assistance (mainly).
Fair point. Thanks

Quick Reply: PORSCHE STABILITY MANAGEMENT (PSM)