Targa — Enlighten Me, Pls

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 07:34 PM
clg13
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa — Enlighten Me, Pls

Hi all,

I sold my 991 Targa last summer “on the advice of” my dear wife, as it was going to sit for close to a year due to my travel. So....I’m now back and heading in a potentially different direction, which would be to purchase a 964 Targa as a weekender.

Could someone enlighten me as to high, medium and low ranges for pricing? How should I be thinking of an appropriate range for a well-sorted (ie, records, top end done, etc.) 964 with average miles? There have been a couple on BAT that have intrigued me.

Glad to be back and thanks!

Best,
chris
Old 04-27-2019, 11:57 PM
0x964
Intermediate

In December I bought a 5 speed 91 Targa with 67K miles that had rear end damage repaired 8 years ago. The car is otherwise pristine, has been trouble free and is an absolute joy to drive. It is most definitely a “medium” given its history and I paid $52k.

Last edited by 0x964; 04-27-2019 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-28-2019, 01:40 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

One thing for sure: the manual cars command maybe $10k more that similar Tiptronic cars
Old 04-28-2019, 02:15 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Targas are so almost impossible to find..2 years ago you would find one here and there, now c'est impossible..if you see one you like & its clean & within your budget pull the trigger immediately- and forget that $35,000 range for a manual, those prices are not for a clean running car today , no way!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Targas are so almost impossible to find..2 years ago you would find one here and there, now c'est impossible..if you see one you like & its clean & within your budget pull the trigger immediately- and forget that $35,000 range for a manual, those prices are not for a clean running car today , no way!
Agreed, I was looking for one for years, and finally got lucky with this one (still on a trailer from NC to CA):
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rrera-targa-3/
Old 04-28-2019, 12:08 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
One thing for sure: the manual cars command maybe $10k more that similar Tiptronic cars
I just don't "get" the big price difference. I understand the preference but I think the Tip gets a bad rep. I have had a 964 Targa Tiptronic for about 8 years now and they are a lot of fun to drive. Maybe not on a track - that would of course be a completely different story - but as a weekend or daily driver the Tips are just as much fun as the stick - my personal opinion.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:52 PM
clg13
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the data points: very very helpful. I’m in the market so will post if I am able to get back into Targa-land!

Best,
Chris
Old 04-28-2019, 01:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

There’s lots to consider when buying a 964 Targa which will impact the initial purchase price. For example there is a choice of C2 or C4, the 2 tends to be more desirable primarily due to lower weight and lower maintenance cost/simpler to maintain. There’s also the transmission choice, manual or auto. They never made an Auto/C4 so if you want something to use around town and in traffic then it might be a good option.

Other things to consider, if it’s an earlier car you’ll want to make sure it’s had the reseal done otherwise you could be spending the bucks to drop the engine which will add $10k to the purchase price. There’s lots of other typical air cooled 964 related updates like the suspension (shocks/springs), fuel management, shift bushings, tail lights, power steering hoses, oil lines etc.

The tops are relatively simple as far as how they are assembled however there’s only one or two places in the US that knows how to properly rebuild them. If you get one that needs a rebuild it can cost between $1200 - $2000 depending on how much work is needed and if you need the front/rear seals on the car.

Another thing to consider is the interior, Targa’s and Convertible interiors tend to be more worn than their coupe counterparts since they get more exposure to UV and the environment. Photo’s don’t always capture the wear unless you get some good close up shots. The leather is often dried out and cracked, sometimes they can be repaired but often they may need to be recovered.

I’m not sure if any of this helps but to sum it up I have seen cars listed for as low as $33 up to $105k depending on mileage and condition. That’s a big spread and you’ll need to decide what you want and are willing to spend.

I have debated selling mine to get a coupe (I already have another topless car) but the price delta between Targa and Coupe stops me. Unless I could get an offer that’s about $12k less than an equivalent coupe I can’t justify it, I love my Targa and finding another 964 of any type in the same condition will be extremely difficult.

Good luck with the search, they are definitely worth it. They have a split personality, fun car around town but also a very capable canyon carver when set up properly.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I personally think manual trans targa 964's are under valued. Handsome cars. 90% of the performance of the C2. 150% of the looks of a cab with 99% of the open air experience...
Old 04-29-2019, 01:44 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

It used to be that 964 Targa's sold at a fair discount to a like 964 coupe. I think that has changed in the last 2 years due to the rarity of the 964 Targa and the fact that it is the last of the traditional Targa. I think IF we ever saw a true #1 or #2 Condition 964 C2 manual Targa in a great color combo that it would absolutely RING THE BELL on BAT. I know a few years ago I got way more comments on my RSA or C2 coupe, but lately when I have taken my Slate Grey 964 Targa to an event I literally have a crowd of people and several unsolicited "Do you want to sell it?", "Is it for sale" and "Name your price". It's a marked change in attitude in just the past 2 years.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:47 AM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1
It used to be that 964 Targa's sold at a fair discount to a like 964 coupe. I think that has changed in the last 2 years due to the rarity of the 964 Targa and the fact that it is the last of the traditional Targa. I think IF we ever saw a true #1 or #2 Condition 964 C2 manual Targa in a great color combo that it would absolutely RING THE BELL on BAT. I know a few years ago I got way more comments on my RSA or C2 coupe, but lately when I have taken my Slate Grey 964 Targa to an event I literally have a crowd of people and several unsolicited "Do you want to sell it?", "Is it for sale" and "Name your price". It's a marked change in attitude in just the past 2 years.
I only just started posting here a month ago and immediately got hit with multiple unsolicited buy offers over PM. Crazy, but maybe that's fresh meat tradition, haven't been around long enough to know...
Old 04-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan1

Beautiful Targa.

Originally Posted by forty2
I only just started posting here a month ago and immediately got hit with multiple unsolicited buy offers over PM. Crazy, but maybe that's fresh meat tradition, haven't been around long enough to know...
I have also had them. They arent easy to find, especially in good condition.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 AM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I have also had them. They arent easy to find, especially in good condition.
Well, I don't know that I would call this one good condition, decent maybe. Mechanically sound though and I know the last ten years of the car's history quite well.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:19 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Had some guy follow me into my neighborhood a few weeks back offering to buy mine. He seemed genuinely surprised that I didn't want to sell.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:38 AM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Deserion
Had some guy follow me into my neighborhood a few weeks back offering to buy mine. He seemed genuinely surprised that I didn't want to sell.
I was driving my 74 Carrera this weekend running some errands with my wife when a guy riding a Harley flipped around and roared up to us at the next light. My wife: “What did you do to **** off the scary looking biker.. lock the doors and roll up your window”...Me: “Nah, he just appreciates the car”... Biker: “Bad *** Carrera Man! Any interest in selling it?”... Me: “No, but glad you like it!l”. Happens all the time in any of my air-cooled cars and NEVER in anything newer than the 993!

Quick Reply: Targa — Enlighten Me, Pls