Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure in lines and cooler

Old 04-22-2019, 11:47 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Oil pressure in lines and cooler

Engine out for full rebuild- going through the entire oil system and replacing the hoses and lines/ cooler. I live in japan and am having a hard time finding a place to crimp new hoses onto the stock fittings. Thought about shipping to elephant but the front hoses are so large that shipping is expensive. I may have a lead on one place that can do the lines- but they want to know what the pressure is in the line. I assume that the pressure is regulated by a restriction (obviously there is no pressure in the oil tank) but not sure where the pressure drop takes place. If its in the exit of the case then all the lines are lower pressure than that of the oil circulating in the engine. If its in the thermostat , for example, then the crimped lines, filter and cooler are all under the same pressure as the circuit is the case- does that sound right?

Pete
Old 04-23-2019, 01:24 AM
xdecock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

From my understanding ( learned from reading and time under the car)

The oil circuit has two sides: the pressure side and the scavenge side.

The pressure side is rather short tough most of it lives inside the engine:
Oil tank => intake line (the one behind your rear wheel probably flattened) => engine intake (front left) > oil pump pressure side => engine lubrication

The scavenge side is longer and filtered.

Scavenge pump => exit line ( the one going under your primary muffler) => oil filter => thermostat line => front cooler line => radiator => return line => thermostat => oil tank

So, on the bright side the main restriction is probably the oil filter, with thermostat radiator and thermostat again being secondary restrictions.

On the issues i see the only rubberhose& collar junction i see in the scavenge side is the thermostat to tank ( and the tank to thermostat drain plug but it's a dedicated line)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:35 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

So the scavenge side must pull from the tank- meaning that there is pressure to some degree until the tank. Any other thoughts on where the pressure drops and how much?

Pete
Old 04-25-2019, 03:11 AM
xdecock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope Scavenge side push from the engine to the tank going through oil filter and front radiator. and then through an internal pipe to a splash control to the top of the oil tank

An interesting thread is there on PP : http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...bo-flares.html
Old 04-25-2019, 05:31 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This may help https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-breather.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil pressure in lines and cooler