Sponsored by:

Cayman or cayman S comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 06:28 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,709 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
I mean...how could I trade this for a cayman?
Indeed!
As a Cayman S driver, but ex-911S driver, I get some seat time in a C4, and can safely say I prefer the C4.
Much more in keeping with what makes Porsche so engaging.

The PDK Cayman S is just fast, fast, fast...
So, if its lap times you're after, there's your answer.

The Cayman isn't exactly ugly, but it's no 911.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:04 AM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 156 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by nowata
that’s spot on but i would actually have to do a boxster to appease the wife so she can get a convertible 🤮

And the reality is that while a boxster is very feminine, it’s not a huge driving compromise for the application

And I’d get a pdk so she’d try a track day with it. She can drive a stick but it’s a bit much to start with on track
The boxster is even more fun than the Cayman! Many people just can't quite stomach the slightly more feminine appearance (including myself)

I do recommend the S is worth the extra (for power and brakes, esp if tracking).

I've said for years the 986/987 Boxster, with springs & exhaust, is the most fun you can have with a Porsche badge for next to no cost...same goes for S2K...so many smiles
Old 04-17-2019, 09:17 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Yes the Boxster does have it’s feminine side, I happen to love it

Old 04-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Jarod964
Banned

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Yes the Boxster does have it’s feminine side, I happen to love it

IMO the spyder is on a totally different level...doesn't come across as feminine to me at all, and in fact I like the look much better than the cayman R of the same gen.

I think 981 boxster spyder will become especially collectable as people seem to be overlooking that car right now, overshadowed by gt4...it is really something special. If I didn't live in Canada where it rains or snows 360 days of the year I think I would strongly consider one
Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

^ what he said but I’m in MN which is by Canada
Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Jarod964
Banned

Like seriously...wish I made this stuff up. Need to escape to California soon before insanity sets in.....or maybe its too late

London Ontario...when iPhone says sunny, it is never right, but when iPhone says rain, its spot on

Old 04-17-2019, 12:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jarod964
IMO the spyder is on a totally different level...doesn't come across as feminine to me at all, and in fact I like the look much better than the cayman R of the same gen.

I think 981 boxster spyder will become especially collectable as people seem to be overlooking that car right now, overshadowed by gt4...it is really something special. If I didn't live in Canada where it rains or snows 360 days of the year I think I would strongly consider one
My comment had a hint of sarcasm although I do tend to agree that the standard Boxster does have a feminine look to it which is why I had never considered one until the Spyder was released. Having said that, some of the guys on the 987 forum have made some changes to wheels and suspension which improve the looks and masculinity of the S.

As far as the driving experience, personally I love both equally. If one were to say I could only keep one (Targa/Spyder) I would have a very hard time deciding. When both are pushed in the canyons they are both incredible to drive and both very special. For around town and less intense driving I definitely prefer the Targa, there’s much more involvement and drama. But the feedback that the Boxster provides (steering and chassis) at high speeds in the canyons is hard to beat save for maybe a 997 GT. I’ve never felt that level of connection with any other car, goes back to the comments about feeling like a pro driver.

That’s why having both is ideal.

As far as weather goes, I’ve done my time in crappy weather having grown up in Upstate NY and spent 14 years in MA so I feel your pain gents. Many daily drive the Boxster S year round so certainly it can handle the weather with the right tires.

nowata for some reason I thought you were located overseas as your car has euro plates and side marker lights.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:17 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I raced my 964 cup for over a decade before recently switching to a Spec Cayman aka SPC. I also owned a Cayman R PDK as a street car for a while. The SPC is an awesome race car. It handles differently, but if you drive at the limit, it is just as challenging/rewarding as the 964. The turn in of the Cayman is lightning quick, and they don't need to "take a set" before applying power like the 964. It shifts great, the clutch is great, the power is linear, and with the exhaust I have on, it sounds freaking awesome. The manual Cayman is every bit as involving to drive as a 964 in my view.

The main drawback of the Cayman platform is that more of the components are just not as robust at the 964. The brakes go into "ice mode" far easier than the 964. The trans definitely needs a cooler to survive. The power steering will definitely melt without a cooler. The engine really needs more cooling via the oil cooler or an external cooler/radiator upgrades. 964s had their won problems, but the Cayman just has a few more to be addressed to be race worthy.

The biggest drawback to me is the integrated sump of the Cayman. The engines drop oil pressure even with deep sump pans (and I have the motec data to back this up). I am running a 2qt Mantis and it does not seem to do much, with frequent oil pressure drops to <20psi under hard cornering. So instead of being able to race on an engine for 10 years like I did with the 964, you probably need to pull the engine apart every ~3 years and change bearings.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:49 PM
mbintx
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2012 Cayman and a 1989 964 C4. The Cayman is better at the track. The 964 is better everywhere else. ��
Old 04-19-2019, 12:28 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here’s a Boxster with some aftermarket wheels and proper stance that looks sweet!

Old 04-19-2019, 01:12 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

[QUOTE=38D;15780224]

The biggest drawback to me is the integrated sump of the Cayman. The engines drop oil pressure even with deep sump pans (and I have the motec data to back this up). I am running a 2qt Mantis and it does not seem to do much, with frequent oil pressure drops to <20psi under hard cornering. So instead of being able to race on an engine for 10 years like I did with the 964, you probably need to pull the engine apart every ~3 years and change bearings.[/QUOTE

maybe an accusump by Canton would help with this?

pete
Old 04-19-2019, 07:53 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
[maybe an accusump by Canton would help with this?
The general consensus from other SPC racers is that an Accusump does very little
Old 04-21-2019, 10:49 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

nowata for some reason I thought you were located overseas as your car has euro plates and side marker lights.
plates are fake but I have yet to be questioned on the road

and it’s an RoW car
Old 04-23-2019, 06:11 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I remember my first Cayman drive. A buddy came over and we did a local loop twice, switching cars. Boy was the Cayman so much easier to drive, and the view of the rear fenders out of the side mirrors was really nice also.

Quick Reply: Cayman or cayman S comparison