Sponsored by:

Cup 1 wheel/tire choices - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:49 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Cup 1 wheel/tire choices - need help

Hey everyone. I have a 1989 964 C4, lowered on Bilstein HDs - currently running OEM RS America Cup 1 wheels (widths - 7 front, 8 rear). They have Continental ContiSport Contact 2 tires...I believe 205/50 17 front and 255/40 17 rear. I also have a set of Borbet Cup 1 replicas (visually identical to the OEM ones), but widths are 7.5 front and 9 rear. They are without tires.

My question to you is - which set of wheels is a better choice in terms of pure enjoyment (forget about OEM vs replica value, etc)? Will the extra width be a noticeable improvement? I know nothing about how wheel size affects performance for the most part. The weight of the OEM vs rep is negligible...almost the same.

I am due to replace the rear tires on my OEM wheels, so this would be an opportunity to either A) replace the rears and keep running OEMs or B) buy a new set of 4 tires for the reps and run the wider wheels. Thanks for any guidance!
Old 03-21-2019, 03:15 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up going with General g Maxx for my cup 1 replicas. Per Damon at Tire Rack who is pretty knowledgeable on our cars, this was his recommendation. I was looking for a cheap set of tires. Summitomo, etc, and he said the Generals are much better tire and ended up being cheaper.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Jarod964
Banned

Received 155 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
I ended up going with General g Maxx for my cup 1 replicas. Per Damon at Tire Rack who is pretty knowledgeable on our cars, this was his recommendation. I was looking for a cheap set of tires. Summitomo, etc, and he said the Generals are much better tire and ended up being cheaper.
Thanks...I am fairly set on Continental or Michelin tires...it's more a matter of choosing the wider vs narrower wheels.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarod964
Hey everyone. I have a 1989 964 C4, lowered on Bilstein HDs - currently running OEM RS America Cup 1 wheels (widths - 7 front, 8 rear). They have Continental ContiSport Contact 2 tires...I believe 205/50 17 front and 255/40 17 rear. I also have a set of Borbet Cup 1 replicas (visually identical to the OEM ones), but widths are 7.5 front and 9 rear. They are without tires.

My question to you is - which set of wheels is a better choice in terms of pure enjoyment (forget about OEM vs replica value, etc)? Will the extra width be a noticeable improvement? I know nothing about how wheel size affects performance for the most part. The weight of the OEM vs rep is negligible...almost the same.

I am due to replace the rear tires on my OEM wheels, so this would be an opportunity to either A) replace the rears and keep running OEMs or B) buy a new set of 4 tires for the reps and run the wider wheels. Thanks for any guidance!
Here's a comparison of Conti EC sport on your wheels(Sport 2 are not available in these sizes)
some points to consider
1) the 8" rear is under sized for a 255/40 tire, you lose a lot of performance potential from that
2) the heavier aftermarket wheels cause a noticeable of a performance loss, ~10lb-ft loss, there is a also a bit of loss of compliance that is hard to quantify

Here is an alternate tire set on the 7/8 factory wheels,
here there is only a .5lb-ft loss due to the heavier front tires. This will not be noticable
the 245 tire is also w/i spec, though wider wheels 7.5/9.5 would give even better performance as long as they aren't too heavy

Quick Reply: Cup 1 wheel/tire choices - need help