Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK or EU source for Lightweight bonnet/hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 05:30 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

Just thought I’d post a few pics of the Carbon bonnet (hood), decklid and unexpected roof that I went with in the end...
Bodywork and Paint by GTR Motorsport

Why do these cars look fantastic on a trailer!!!
The following 5 users liked this post by 964George:
andyp (06-08-2022), Jacke2c (04-04-2020), kos11-12 (06-08-2022), Mikke_Possu (04-04-2020), spooky69 (06-17-2022)
Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I could provide you with the best one you can get but I suspect that you would not like the price which would be almost $4000.
The following users liked this post:
964George (04-05-2020)
Old 06-08-2022, 12:49 PM
andyp
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Long time since you posted this George, but where did you source the parts from in the end and what weight do you think you saved for all those new panels?
Old 06-08-2022, 04:02 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 964George
Hey guys

I'm looking to go down the route of replacing my bonnet/hood with a lightweight version.
My existing bonnet is steel and has some rust issues around the badge, it's heavy (18kg ish) and eats through struts every couple of years...

So my options are;
Aluminum - weight comes in at around 6-7kg, is period correct and may have a better fit and finish? Searching the net it throws up a couple options, steel frame with aluminum skin or all aluminum, bit confused here as would want all aluminum...
Carbon - weights I've seen mentioned are anything between 3.5-7kg and are usually carbon-kevlar composite? Fit and finish unknown but I've seen posts where people are very happy.
Glass fibre - which I've already ruled out on the basis that it is not a strong as the above options.

I think I'm edging towards Carbon over Aluminum.
I'm interested to hear peoples experiences of both and any pros or cons to either?
Ultimately the details of any suppliers in the UK or EU?

So far I know of;
FVD: Carbon Kevlar bonnet 6.3kg €1,595
Cargraphics: Carbon Kevlar bonnet 6.3kg €1,195
LWS design: no longer trading.
kunststofftechnik-buehler: who I suspect supplies FVD and Cargraphics

So let me know your experiences.

Cheers

George
Hi George,
Carbon is a good choice, it is light don't corrod and the little flex is a bonus in some occasions, not sure if aluminium is easier on a long run.
I have the LWS for a few years now, it's very light but the fit is slighly too long, the rest is pefect. On a black car it is less obvious as the front bumper seal is black too, my car is Polar silver and I left mine unpainted (I order it in mat with UV protection)
I also never seen it vibrating at hight speed so the latch is working well, and no water when raining.
It was £ 1k 8 years ago .
All the best
Konstantin
Old 06-15-2022, 09:13 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andyp
Long time since you posted this George, but where did you source the parts from in the end and what weight do you think you saved for all those new panels?
Carbon Bonnet was eventually sourced from DP motorsport, 3.3kg compared to 18kg OEM.
Carbon Decklid was from Bühler, 2kg compared to 5.5kg OEM.
Carbon Roof from GTR motorsport, 1.7kg compared to approx 20kg OEM including sunroof parts.

Additionally, I've stripped the interior of all sound deadening, deleted the sunroof, centre console, rear seats, radio.
Removed some of the redundant cabling, the large washer bottle and headlight washers.
Replaced the front seats with Recaro Sportsters and the exhaust is also lightweight.

I estimate that its shaved off around 100kg in total, you can feel the weight reduction when you drive it.

I still have to install my lithium battery and remove the rear heater, but I will be reinstating a carpet of some sorts...

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Hi George,
Carbon is a good choice, it is light don't corrod and the little flex is a bonus in some occasions, not sure if aluminium is easier on a long run.
I have the LWS for a few years now, it's very light but the fit is slighly too long, the rest is pefect. On a black car it is less obvious as the front bumper seal is black too, my car is Polar silver and I left mine unpainted (I order it in mat with UV protection)
I also never seen it vibrating at hight speed so the latch is working well, and no water when raining.
It was £ 1k 8 years ago .
All the best
Konstantin
The bonnet from DP is gel coated and when GTR fitted it, they sanded it in various places to get the best fit.
Looks good and very stealthy, no one would know it's carbon.
It doesn't flex or vibrate either and just uses the standard bonnet latch.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 12:21 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

lithium is great, I have the Antigravity , I think 650 CCA, with a cut switch wired a la RS, I alway cut the battery , no matter ... It looks like those batteries don't like to go low .
Old 06-16-2022, 08:15 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kos11-12
lithium is great, I have the Antigravity , I think 650 CCA, with a cut switch wired a la RS, I alway cut the battery , no matter ... It looks like those batteries don't like to go low .
I took the cheap option, a Battery Tender lithium battery with 480 CCA.
I've also got an Antigravity Bluetooth monitor so I can keep an eye on the state of the battery
Would love to wire up an RS cut off at some point too.

Konstantin, How's your HVAC updates going?
DM me via Instagram with the latest...

Quick Reply: UK or EU source for Lightweight bonnet/hood