Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just sharing some thoughts... on cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:57 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the chance of a second sportscar I`d go for the NSX - reliable, rare, Ayrton Senna setup, good performance, reliable performance, good residuals, easy to drive in town, good looking, reliable, seem easy on the limit - all of which sounds a little dull I suppose.
I`ll echo Joeys experience of 348's on track - managed to lap one in a 20min session on a 2.7mile circuit - twice (different sessions). 355's are more competitive but I can`t see where the 380bhp is hiding because they are no faster than the NSX.
Challenge cars a bit quicker though
Old 02-10-2004, 07:18 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm,

I've driven a 348 flat out round Silverstone, coming down the main straights at over 130mph, I found them to be a beast of a car, heavy steering, heavy clutch, gear change that isn't user friendly, dog-leg first (sod to get used to) and quite frankly the 964 sounds better in the cabin, is easier to drive period, and is far more realistic proposition in real ownership terms, for example who has ever seen any prancing horse with 100+k on the clock for anywhere near Porsche money? simple answer they don't exist.

Kevin.

Happy with his 964, slightly disappointed with his Ferrari experinces.......
Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Shame they don't sell TVR's over there..
Old 02-10-2004, 08:14 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Johnny G
Shame they don't sell TVR's over there..
It's a long way back to Blackpool with a trailer.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:23 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Warmfuzzies, your experience sounds just like C&D described it. Maybe the reason Ferraris are now mostly automatics is because they could not get manuals right!

My only personal journey in a Ferrari was in a F40 at about 9/10 around Summit Point. It was '94 and they were giving "ride arounds" in different race and sports cars for $5. However, there was a F40 and a race M5 there for $20 (all per lap). There was no passing allowed and the F40 was pent up the whole time.....until my turn. I was the next to last to go out and all the other cars just came in from their last lap. I got buckled in the 6 points (maybe 5) and was holding a camcorder. Well that did not last long, I had to put the camcorder down because I almost sh*t my pants. It was my first time riding around any track and he hit 165 from the pits to T1. I thought we would go off in every corner. I remember thinking, "if we wreck they will write an article about this in the car mags". That is the most brutal car I have ever been in and loved every second of it. I could hear the turbos popping. He got reprimanded when we got back for going so fast w/ me…..which I also loved. The last guy probably “only” got 5/10.

The next day I showed up with $100 for five laps, but the guy did not show. I got a ride in a brand new 3.6 turbo, which was great, but in traffic and really not close.

So the F40 to me will always be in my top 5 all time cars, but not a fan of the 308s or the 348s. Have not been in either, but not really interested.

Off topic, but just thought I would share my only ride in a Ferrari. I am hoping for a good ride in a GT2/3 soon!!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm new to this and have just posted a breif introduction, but I would like to recomend something a little unorthodox for a PORSCHE forum.
My opinion is truely bais of coarse, But I love my Mercedes c280 AMG turbo. It's a great performing vehicle. Not as fast as the C2 but equally as quick. Personally I think the Mercedes handles and rides better, for a daily driver that is.
In conclusion, My wife and 2 kids fit comfortably as well.

Duncan
Old 02-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Johnny, It is too bad they do not sell TVR's in North America. We miss out on so many great cars here. Asianbond, the first generation Audi S4 of 1992-95 had a turbocharged 2.2L 20V 5Cyl. motor, these are great cars and even bigger sleepers than the A4 based Bi-turbo S4. The Bi-turbo S4's have also been plagued by reliability issues (self mutilating motors !!). I still love them though.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:43 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I would love to have a WRX or STI Suby for a daily driver..

I Mini (new one) or a M3 would be on the list as well....

Audi S4 Avant comes to mind as well..

Too many cars, not enough money..
Old 02-11-2004, 09:38 AM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

Nice to read comments based on first hand experiences. The 348 is all about living the Ferrari ownership experience. The shifter action, the exhaust sounds, the road feel, I haven't experience anything else close to it, it is an incomparable experience that everyone should try once in a lifetime. By far it is not the quickest or smoothest car to drive, hell that's what the NSX is for, trust me, when you're driving a NSX and see a 348 roar by you'll immediately view it with envy.

It doesn't matter who's the fastest at the track by a few seconds, all these cars at similiar high performance level. If both the NSX and 348 had similiar skilled drivers pushing at the same limits, no way does a NSX lap a 348. If you want a fast track car get a Z06.

Sure the 355 is a better performer but it cost twice the price. The 355 puts out 380hp stock and 348 300hp stock.

The 91-95 hi-performance Audi wagons were called S2's with a Porsche design 5 cylinder turbo good for 300hp. Nice cars, weak brakes, but certainly not as smooth as the first gen. S4's. I've owned a 2000 S4 before, they are awesome! You can buy used S4's for less than 20k now in the states, oh yeah, the 2.7 twin turbo Audi A6 are just as nice for very little money.

Drove a TVR Chimera, is it only me or for some reason they feel like a 87 Mustang GT, similiar lopey idle and narrow track suspension set-up, easy to pwerslide around any corner. Nice straight line power but quite a handful setting up for turns at speed.

No arguments here on the fact that older porsches are solid value for the money. But if you're already gone down that route it doesn't hurt to ask another gal to dance.....
Old 02-11-2004, 11:10 AM
delhi
Racer

Joey B,
the celica vvt-i engine is designed by Yamaha. So were the SHO engines for the Tauruses.
How about one of those Rally cars from Subaru and Mitsubishi? You can take an STi with 4drs, blast down a gravel road/snowy trail with some marbles in your mouth and pretend you're Colin McRae!
After all these you can still take your missus for grocery shopping!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:14 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by tonytaylor
It's a long way back to Blackpool with a trailer.

Ain't that the truth!

I've not owned a TVR, nearly did though......until the wood dashboard fell off on a Griffith (beautiful shape) onto my lap during a test drive and the rear light shorted, with a horrible smell. Brought back too many memories of the dark side of Lotus ownership to pursue the purchase.....
Old 02-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Wonkdonk
Advanced

I owned a Scooby WRX from new for 18 months (till it was stolen a year ago) - absolutely loved it.
Tracked it here at Snetterton, Brands and Oulton (in the pouring rain) and at the 'Ring. An excellent tool that you can still do the shopping/commuting in.
When I was choosing it's replacement, I tested the STi PPP. Another world in the performance stakes - mindblowingly fast. If you can't get your thrills on the track, then the car is too capable to excite safely on the road.
Now I know they're somewhat soulless (apart from the exhasut on full-bore) and they don't have the class or cachet of a P-car, but if you need a daily driver that's superbly trackable it might be worth considering.
Good luck anyway.
Cheers,
Adrian.

Quick Reply: Just sharing some thoughts... on cars