Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing these cars, if, how often, w.r.t. windshield channel rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for multiple posts on this thread but to add to the discussion, has anyone done a XPEL install on their car that covers cowl to the seal? I’ve had XPEL Ultimate on multiple cars and it’s a great product.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:59 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apply painters tape to the upper windshield seal and the lower door window area to help stop any water from getting down in the doors, and then spray away. No rust problems so far.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:09 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

What does the group think spraying some type of rust inhibitor spay under the seal?

I would do this to my previous car to mitigate the bubble that was forming. Applying it occasionally when the car was dry, using a thin straw that was attached to the aerosol can. That would allow me to get under the seal and down the channel, applying a couple short bursts every few months. I felt it couldn’t hurt since a bubble was already present...

Haven’t done it to this car yet. Could this help prevent anything or hurt anything?

It wasn’t this product, just using it as an example...

STA-BIL (22003) Heavy Duty Rust and Corrosion Inhibitor Aerosol Spray

Old 02-23-2019, 08:14 AM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 203 Posts

Do any members know if the rusting around the windshield also occurs on the Cabriolet, or only the coupes?

Thank you.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:53 AM
0x964
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Do any members know if the rusting around the windshield also occurs on the Cabriolet, or only the coupes?

Thank you.
I’d expect it to occur on a Cab as well. My Targa collects water in the common windshield spots and I believe the Targa and the Cab are identical from a body and windshield standpoint.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thank you.
All 911’s are susceptible.

There’s another area that also collects water, the lower door sill seal. If the drainage holes compress or get clogged the water can sit in there for months. All it takes is a pinhole facing the chassis and the water will slowly cause rust in that area.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I just don't wash my old cars. At least rarely, maybe 1x a year. Just wipe them down with a very thick mooty spec MF towel with detail spray. Keep a nice coat of wax on and a very very mild polish 1x a year and they look fine. Of course, I don't live in an area it rains often and don't drive in the rain... or mud.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:52 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I just don't wash my old cars. At least rarely, maybe 1x a year. Just wipe them down with a very thick mooty spec MF towel with detail spray. Keep a nice coat of wax on and a very very mild polish 1x a year and they look fine. Of course, I don't live in an area it rains often and don't drive in the rain... or mud.
I use the same regimen. What do you do to remove the initial layer of dust?
Old 02-23-2019, 03:02 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

This stuff is great, and probably the only way to touch the car without scratching it, especially in the “real world” climates/conditions that most of us live in.

I use it after hosing bigger particles off first.

ammo-frothe-hoseless
Old 02-23-2019, 04:59 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you.
i know for sure it happens in cabs.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I should also note that I lived in MA and KS before I lived in CA. While I agree that cars don’t get dirty as quickly in CA they definitely will get dirty when your up in the canyons. Waterless washing works just fine for East Coast and Midwest.

The key is using high quality microfibers, having plenty on hand and using a decent detail spray or waterless wash setup.

Here’s a pic of the Spyder after a run in the canyons....and no I didn’t wash with water.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:11 PM
spevie
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

...I only use a low pressure hose and soap and water on the bottom half of the car below the windows, and a wet MF towel only for top and windows. The aim is to prevent water getting into the doors, window gaskets or sunroof gaskets. The only parts of the car that really gets dirty are the bottom half anyway? Where I live your forbidden to drive in winter (salt), should try not to drive in rain (dirty undercarriage). Always use a plastic sheet to keep the engine compartment dry. When the car is asleep for the winter, a cover is a good idea?...black cars are a "mixed blessing"...
Old 02-24-2019, 12:32 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Achtung964
I use the same regimen. What do you do to remove the initial layer of dust?
griots speed shine.
I use something at Mooty’s i think 1/2 speed shine 1/2 quickwax. He changed to some other brand. He uses a 5 gallon bucket in time i use a quart lol. Anyway that 50/50 mix works really well too.
Spray on rag and spray on car. Fold towel in 4ths. Rotate often.
If you have dirt on the car best to spray it off first. Mine is usually just dust.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:04 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

^ lots towels, I use 4 MF towel per car if driven around 150 miles
now u know why I buy them 1000 towels at a time.
GOOD mf towel is important.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:59 AM
PO968
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Depends on where you live really

I'm in the northeast. Black car. Daily driver in all weather for the last ten years.

In the winter- i don't wash it much. But when the car is covered in salt, and it's not going to rain or snow for a bit, I'll first take a large spray pump with "salt away" and soak the car top and underneath as best i can. Then while that's doing its thing, i take a another large pump spray and after a bit I'll spray down the car with a no rinse car wash mixture that has a little salt away mixed in and then lightly take off the outer grime, then with a spray bottle of norinse cash wash, do a proper cleaning.

I have swirls. I don't care. Car gets shiney enough.

After ten years of daily use, i have my first rust bubble forming under the front window. Which is impressive i think, given that it's been through hell and almost 100k miles like this.

So this spring or summer I'll pull the front windshield and deal w that spot. And then continue.

I'm thinking I'll find a grease that i can shoot under the window seals that won't hurt the paint and do that w a syringe a couple times a year to keep water from getting in. Not sure yet, but my head tells me that will seal better than the current seal.

Fwiw, most the water that gets in to the bottom of the window, gets in from the top corners, and travels down the sides of the window settling in the bottom. That's why the bottom corners are where these cars rust most often. The seal fit isn't usually very good, replacement windows are basically terrible at this point, and then on top of that, the seal rubber get hard and doesn't seal well after a short time. Some sort of gummy goop would be very helpful.
Can recommend this grease (cable grease) to be used under the seals: http://www.liqui-moly.eu/liqui-moly/produktdb.nsf/id/de_6135.html?OpenDocument&land=DE&vcmstemplate=mobile&redirect=1
It's a german product but I am sure there is something similar available in the US.
Furthermore I use detailing tape and put it around the windshield seal before rinsing my 964 to prevent water going under the seal (unbelievable what kind of effort willing to take to prevent against rust - but it’s worth it &#128578

Quick Reply: Washing these cars, if, how often, w.r.t. windshield channel rust