Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repaint 964 Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:46 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Love the black on 964 and most Porsches. But yes, PITA to keep clean but when they are , they’re killer. My 964 is black and 991 is white. I guess I like extremes.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by galanevans
Is this verifiable? Black is typically quite popular for cars, and I personally was only interested in black for my 964. Mostly just curious if there is any objective info?

plus 1
Old 02-24-2019, 01:34 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by galanevans
Is this verifiable? Black is typically quite popular for cars, and I personally was only interested in black for my 964. Mostly just curious if there is any objective info?
Originally Posted by Dtronics
I’m also a fan of black cars and a black 964 was a must for me too. My last 10 vehicles have been black and I currently own 3 black vehicles. They’re a pain to maintain but I love them.... I guess I’m a masochist.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Nothing like a black Porsche. They do look great but after owning far too many and constantly trying to keep them looking good I moved on. I never recommend changing a color unless you are going for a full outlaw build. I always recommend doing the least invasive approach first. A car is only original once and a good shop can fix minor rust issues and make it look as though it was never touched. Although finding a shop to do single stage is next to impossible. As others said after all the mechanicals are addressed focus on the cosmetics. It is nice to have a perfect car but also a curse. Nothing more frustrating and disappointing when your car is perfect and you get that first mark.
Originally Posted by AKB991
Love the black on 964 and most Porsches. But yes, PITA to keep clean but when they are , they’re killer. My 964 is black and 991 is white. I guess I like extremes.
Originally Posted by Norse_man
plus 1
For sure not trying to upset lovers of black Porsches LOL... no I have no objective data, just subjective, from one person's view who has bought and sold many and various 911's old and new, black and otherwise, over many years

No doubt that black 911's, done well, and kept well, are a sight to behold. But as commented above, keeping them that way is very difficult and labor/cost intensive. I remember last year when trying to move a lovely black 964 C2 coupe, so many folks said - OMG I have been looking soooo long, if only this one were anything but black I would be all over this

Lots of car lovers, me included, while admiring a lovely black sports car, just won't own one...
Old 02-24-2019, 03:58 PM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Ebony and Ivory - can’t we all just get along ? ! but seriously , have the suspension addressed if not done already. Many will need it after all these years.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:43 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Times change. 25-30 years ago if it wasn't black, red or white it was a tough sell. If you look at 964's for instance red, black and white comprise of far more than 50%. Today everyone wants a jelly been color or some uncommon metallic which was next to impossible to sell then.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:55 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I think car color is all about personal preferences. Guessing what the market may want in years to come is impossible so just go with what you like. Personally, I rate function over form, i.e. get the car mechanically sorted first. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase! As others have said I would drive the car first and figure out if there are any issues and go from there. Like you I plan to respray my car to a different Porsche color. Later on down the road. Nothing wrong with Guards Red as I’ve fallen in love with it. However, I always had a different color in mind.

Quick Reply: Repaint 964 Advice