Sponsored by:

ABS unit leaking- Anyone had this problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 01:26 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS unit leaking- Anyone had this problem

Was racing at Sebring two weekends ago and the brake pedal went to the floor as I was braking into turn 1 (Freaking scary!!!) and I pumped it quick and it came back. It did in two more turns and each time I pumped it back up. I came in for my scheduled pitstop and we opened the hood and there was brake fluid all over the floor and the ABS unit. Clearly somewhere on the ABS unit is leaking and some seal has busted loose. I can't replicate this in the garage though, and determine where the leak is coming from. Even with vigorous pumping of the pedal, it won't cause it to leak, so I guess it must have to be hot when it happens. All the fittings are dry, everything "on top" is dry. Only just below the two cylinders and in the middle area is wet. See picture.

There was at least 1/2 cup of fluid in the body pan.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have a replacement ABS unit and think I will just replace the whole thing, but would like to repair the leaking one if possible. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:54 PM
rahulsingh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.'
Old 03-14-2020, 07:15 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 449 Likes on 255 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ap-repair.html
This thread has pictures of a disassembled ABS unit
Check the seals on your pistons and between the motor and the body, perhaps one of those has given up!

Quick Reply: ABS unit leaking- Anyone had this problem