Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out of these 2 964's for sale which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Tarek,

I am always skeptical of a reputation based on an Instagram following. From my experience most are based on comments from people who don't have a clue and get sucked into the hype. I have seen cars that were all the rage only to find they used dry wall screws in the build. Although I am sure the seller is capable of good work this is not his Mona Lisa.

Bring me this car in a year and we will see if it was worth what someone is about to overpay for it. Yeah you can say buy it, drive it and who cares but there are far too many questions and no answers. To buy based on reputation is IMO a huge mistake. It is a flared out 90 with no upgrades FG parts and an old engine build. A lot of bling added and fancy photos to sell nothing special To me the body work and paint job detract maybe if he took the time to do it right vs quickly. I could care less how many people he throws at it the timing isn't right. The filler needs to cure and will eventually shrink along with the primer, the paint under the decals will look either dull or peel the clear when removed. Its not if as much as how badly. If he was truly on the up and up he would address the questions instead of insulting those asking the questions.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:14 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

it is true you can't be too picky with 964's these days... they are quite old now, and more importantly, they have been through a long period where they were not worth much, so many have been seriously neglected by their former owners

that said, they are simple cars and can be rebuilt/rehabbed into great cars again, ones that deliver a great driving and prideful ownership experience... but the process requires a lot of time, money, perseverance, and experience

whether you are a customer paying for a resto/rehab, or if you have a shop doing them, time and energy and money are ultimately the resources to bring to bear, so it is not unusual (even expected) to see people cut corners, especially if they seek to try to sell into the hot market

as enthusiasts, we just need to be careful, listen to those who have experience, and understand that human nature/greed centrally at play here... we also need to be honest with ourselves how perfect/imperfect a 30 y.o. car we want or need in order to be happy with it
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Two words: Rhino. Liner.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
I literally did lol. 😂
Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

When I take a close look at the pictures of the black 964 on BAT I can see that some corners were cut, some are very obvious and others only to the trained eye. I’m seeing the same as Anthony, there’s already lots of sanding/filler marks showing through the paint and with time that will get worse. The decals could also be hiding some less then stellar bodywork, hard to say. I also noted that the paint on the rocker panels is already heavily chipped which makes me wonder how well the front bumper, hood and fenders will hold up with time. The car is also dirty in the pictures which makes it more difficult to really confirm its condition.

Tarek I’ve seen a couple of your cars in person and I can say your descriptions are accurate and you tend to highlight the issues rather than hiding them. I don’t see the same for this black 964.

Having said all that, it’s possible the buyer wants a good baseline to do a custom build and perhaps $65K is getting him/her that starting point to build a widebody backdate or similar. Who knows what the motivation is but hopefully there’s no disappointment.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:36 AM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Old 02-21-2019, 12:38 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Tarek I’ve seen a couple of your cars in person and I can say your descriptions are accurate and you tend to highlight the issues rather than hiding them. I don’t see the same for this black 964.
Thanks Afshin. I myself always think its a plus to highlight any issues, nicks or whatever. Obviously many sellers tend to do the opposite. Personally i don't think he's trying to hide anything on purpose on his car, he probably just doesn't think they are of "importance" or a big deal. Either way, that car is now getting expensive...we will see where it ends up.

You really need to join us for a drive soon- Angeles crest!
Old 02-21-2019, 12:47 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Thanks Afshin. I myself always think its a plus to highlight any issues, nicks or whatever. Obviously many sellers tend to do the opposite. Personally i don't think he's trying to hide anything on purpose on his car, he probably just doesn't think they are of "importance" or a big deal. Either way, that car is now getting expensive...we will see where it ends up.

You really need to join us for a drive soon- Angeles crest!
Lots of eyes on the black car, I'm also curious where it ends...

Count me in for a drive once the snow stops and the sand is off the roads! I'll let you know when we get a drive set up for Palomar, I think you'll enjoy that drive....even in the Italian trash
Old 02-21-2019, 09:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
That is one thing I enjoy about your ads. Anytime someone sends me a link for my opinion there is little for me to do as you point out all the strengths as well as the weaknesses. No ambiguity and no deception. I don't think the seller is trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes although he is relying on the fancy pictures and buyers ignorance to sell this car. If you want a widebody 964 I wouldn't consider this one. If this car hits $70k which it appear it will you could easily find a car and have the work done properly instead of rushed and be into it for the same amount possible less if you are a DIYer. I am lucky to have been around and assist in some incredible shops and have learned there is so much more than a nice paint job. No matter how good a painter the end result is all in the prep and that is something you can't rush.

Instagram has brought out the authority in those that know very little other than how to mimic what others are saying. This is very sad when people like a car based on fenders and decals and have no clue to what a quality job is and its value. Whoever buys this car will most likely be fixing the work done in a few years. Also the suspension appears to be setup for a NB car which is perfect for the rear but not ideal when setting the car up properly. They should have used the turbo settings for the front which would make a huge improvement in handling but adds expense.

As far as a properly welded flair here is a 914 6 getting a GT conversion. This car had a lot of bad bodywork done in the past and had to have most of it cutaway and all new panels welded in place. This car has 0 filler on any of the panels unlike the other builds you will see. Properly butt welded and metal shaped instead of filler filing the voids and shaping the fender. It also looks as good underneath as it does from above.

The differences between work like this and the work done on the WB 90 C2 is monumental and shows when a shop actually knows what they are doing.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-21-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:33 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993

That stuff is not lightweight at all........
Old 02-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Not to mention meant for truck beds.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:45 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

FWIW (not much,) BAT is something I can hardly enjoy any longer. I mean, I'll always love cars but some participants on the site have turned the place into a hen party shriek fest. I could always chortle to myself over the "just like mine," "If I only had more room for one more," "I'd be a player on this one if....." comments but now it's almost unbearable with all the emotion going on as if it were dictated by moon phases......

For example:
"DHG! Once again, we have a Great Pissing Match going on. Get a life People! You are atemping to impress the WORLD that you know more than everyone else. AND this 911 has issues. This Porsche does NOT have issues. Maybe in your mind, or dimension. Way too many people have spoken for this car. It’s known. It’s been seen. It’s got history. It is an AWESOME build. Go crawl back under your rock, and leave this Seller, AND his 911 alone. Let us have a decent sale tomorrow. For once. It helps to be nice, you know."
Old 02-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon
FWIW (not much,) BAT is something I can hardly enjoy any longer. I mean, I'll always love cars but some participants on the site have turned the place into a hen party shriek fest. I could always chortle to myself over the "just like mine," "If I only had more room for one more," "I'd be a player on this one if....." comments but now it's almost unbearable with all the emotion going on as if it were dictated by moon phases......

For example:
"DHG! Once again, we have a Great Pissing Match going on. Get a life People! You are atemping to impress the WORLD that you know more than everyone else. AND this 911 has issues. This Porsche does NOT have issues. Maybe in your mind, or dimension. Way too many people have spoken for this car. It’s known. It’s been seen. It’s got history. It is an AWESOME build. Go crawl back under your rock, and leave this Seller, AND his 911 alone. Let us have a decent sale tomorrow. For once. It helps to be nice, you know."
When I saw the post above on BAT I thought to myself that if this continues it will be the downfall. What makes BAT great is that many experts can chime in and if these experts are pushed away the buyer is no longer getting a good assessment and has to rely on the seller.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
That is one thing I enjoy about your ads. Anytime someone sends me a link for my opinion there is little for me to do as you point out all the strengths as well as the weaknesses. No ambiguity and no deception. I don't think the seller is trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes although he is relying on the fancy pictures and buyers ignorance to sell this car. If you want a widebody 964 I wouldn't consider this one. If this car hits $70k which it appear it will you could easily find a car and have the work done properly instead of rushed and be into it for the same amount possible less if you are a DIYer. I am lucky to have been around and assist in some incredible shops and have learned there is so much more than a nice paint job. No matter how good a painter the end result is all in the prep and that is something you can't rush.

Instagram has brought out the authority in those that know very little other than how to mimic what others are saying. This is very sad when people like a car based on fenders and decals and have no clue to what a quality job is and its value. Whoever buys this car will most likely be fixing the work done in a few years. Also the suspension appears to be setup for a NB car which is perfect for the rear but not ideal when setting the car up properly. They should have used the turbo settings for the front which would make a huge improvement in handling but adds expense.

As far as a properly welded flair here is a 914 6 getting a GT conversion. This car had a lot of bad bodywork done in the past and had to have most of it cutaway and all new panels welded in place. This car has 0 filler on any of the panels unlike the other builds you will see. Properly butt welded and metal shaped instead of filler filing the voids and shaping the fender. It also looks as good underneath as it does from above.

The differences between work like this and the work done on the WB 90 C2 is monumental and shows when a shop actually knows what they are doing.
Thanks Cobalt, really means a lot to me when someone with your knowledge has something good to say about my ads. The black car on BAT is definitely starting to get expensive, but hey its a good thing for all of us 964 lovers lol
Old 02-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
If you want a widebody 964 I wouldn't consider this one. If this car hits $70k which it appear it will you could easily find a car and have the work done properly instead of rushed and be into it for the same amount possible less if you are a DIYer.
Since a good 964 costs at least 50 now, or maybe closer to 60, are you saying a proper WB can be done for 20 for less? Genuinely curious as I’m thinking of doing it, along with a sunroof delete, and I thought it’d be 25-30. Or maybe it is including the delete.

Quick Reply: out of these 2 964's for sale which would you choose?