Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with differential, maybe PDAS related?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM
aldo964
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting ready for the hydraulic blead and transmission oil changes today, when I noticed this….. I'm not sure, but to me it looks like the spacer (aka key) between the central diff actuator could possibly be missing.
Could that cause the issues I'm having?

Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Yes, it is a locking plate/key that retains the slave cylinder in place [964 339 770 01]. That is removed before being able to remove the cylinder. The Katalog refers to this as a retaining bracket. The workshop manual refers to this as the 'safegaurd' - which I guess was the best translation from the original German language.

Elsewhere mentioned in previous PDAS posts is the suggestion/recommendation that the sealing sleeve the cylinder works against is also replaced [964 301 051 01].
Old 02-12-2019, 01:46 PM
aldo964
Instructor

Actually, on second thoughts, I think the "key" is there after all. I'm guessing it's the part the 10mm bolt screws into on the right of my pictures above, right? At first I thought that was part of the transmission housing.

Now, a new observation, today I also noticed that when the diff is not locked (ie. in normal/open mode) the actuator has some play. Could somebody please confirm/disconfirm that.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Yes your key is there. Pain in the butt to get out of it's not been out in a while.

What do you mean by "play". The front lock is round and can rotate if that's the type of play you mean...
Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 PM
aldo964
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goughary
What do you mean by "play". The front lock is round and can rotate if that's the type of play you mean...
That is precisely the type of play I mean (I've got a video of it, but I can't figure out how to upload videos on Rennlist)
However, when I lock the diff there is no play.
Would you say that's normal then?

Old 02-15-2019, 08:38 AM
aldo964
Instructor

Update, reccent events:

Changed front diff oil (some swarf on the magnetic plug)

Changed gearbox oil (plenty of swarf and sludge on the magnet)

Changed engine oil.

Found mysterious part (see below) at the bottom of my bucket which could possibly of have come out of the diff or transmission. Any ideas?

Did the hydraulic bleed today. Lots of air in the system, ended up putting 9 litres of oil through it. I thought all had gone well until I got in the car to try it: no presure on the clutch pedal at all! Went back under to have a look and discovered the clutch slave tube (96442347700) has perished.

So things are not looking good at all.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:31 PM
aldo964
Instructor

Good news!

I changed the clutch tube and bled the clutch slave again, and all is well!
The clutch pedal is back to normal and the resistance at the wheels is significantly less, they still don't spin like bicycle wheels, but at least I'm now able to push the car. So I'm really happy with that, that's a big improvement. I think performance has marginally improved too.

Also, I was able to identify the mysterious metal part…. After all it was just an underbody clip that must have somehow fallen into the oil while I was draining it. So that was a big relief!

Thanks to you all for your input during the past few days. You're help has been indispensable.

Quick Reply: Issue with differential, maybe PDAS related?