Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 pdas slave cylinder pressure valve what does it do

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 09:38 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

I have them yes. Send me a pm. If you are in Europe might be easier if 9meister has them. But happy to help.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:10 PM
Myles Maycher
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s funny that this thread is going again a year after I posted it. I got my kit from Goughary a year ago and it looks great. 2 days ago I finally got around to take a look at installing it. I have not pulled the slave apart yet to change the seals. I wanted to verify that my durametric could bleed it properly like durametric says it does before I disconnected the cylinder. I am possibly running into issues with the durametric tool. I posted this on pelican 2 nights ago with no response. I will post the same thing here. If anyone has the answer it will help other people going forward. This topic has been brought up many times on the internet. Unfortunately there are no conclusive answers. I would appreciate if you only answer the thread if you have first hand experience bleeding the transverse and longitudinal slave lock with the durametric tool.

I am trying to bleed both slave lock cylinders but am having issues. Attached is the picture of the durametric options. It says brake bleeding which I am assuming is wrong and is supposed to be the longitudinal lock or I am in aware of what this function does. I use the motive pressure bleeder to do the rest of the brake bleeding components. Then it says transverse lock which I am assuming is supposed to be the transverse lock.

From the Adrian streather porsche 911 enthusiasts companion it says using a Bosch hammer you open the bleeder on the slave cylinder lock, then activate it through the hammer, it should pump out about 250ml and it’s done. Then repeat on the second lock.

I tried this.

I cracked the bleeder on the transverse lock and activated it on the durametric and got one squirt of fluid. I then tried activating the brake bleed button as I was unsure what it did and I could here the solenoid clicking in the front trunk and I was getting squirts of fluid coming out of the transverse lock.

Maybe I am supposed to do this with the pressure bleeder on? I am assuming it is supposed to be a steady stream. It’s hard to tell if there is air in the system when it’s pulsing out fluid. But maybe that’s how it’s supposed to be.

If anyone has done this on the durametric version 6 and got it to work please let me know what the sequence was and what they are talking about when they say brake bleeding.

As I’m writing this I am wondering if the dual solenoid block is plugged in backwards. I’m not sure if that is possible. I will have to check tomorrow.(I checked and it is not possible to connect it backwards)

Old 01-25-2020, 01:10 PM
willmip
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I've done this job only this week, using the ninemeister kit.

I found after reassembly that the piston was sticking, and I think I stretched the new piston seal a tad fitting it, so I had to use the second one, and all was well. Colin at ninemeister was helpful and quick to reply to my emails. Below is the 'before' picture.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:53 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Interesting revised thread. I have a PDT999. When you bleed the slave cylinders you activate the traverse lock on the PDT999. Opening the bleed valves the system pulsates and the brake fluid squirts out in pulses. I assume the durametric will do the same.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:05 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by willmip
I've done this job only this week, using the ninemeister kit.

I found after reassembly that the piston was sticking, and I think I stretched the new piston seal a tad fitting it, so I had to use the second one, and all was well. Colin at ninemeister was helpful and quick to reply to my emails. Below is the 'before' picture.

There is almost no way to not stretch the seals when installing. If this happens - let it sit for a bit and maybe use a hair dryer to warm the seals...they will tend to shrink back into place...

So for those that haven't done it yet, patience is a virtue....but if you really make a mess of it, we have seal sets available, and if i run out, I'll likely make another run.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:13 PM
Myles Maycher
Advanced

Interesting. So it does squirt out in pulses. That is the same as the durametric. I assumed this was wrong because when it’s pulsing it is difficult to tell if there is air in the system. I would assume it would hold that solenoid open to allow a continuous flow of fluid. But maybe that’s not the case.

the other strange thing is it only pulses if I press the bleeding button. If I press the transverse lock button it pulses one time then does nothing.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:35 PM
Myles Maycher
Advanced

928 forum has a very good explanation https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...need-help.html

I have not tried but I assume the bleed function pulses both the lateral and longitudinal slave cylinders at the same time on the 964. The 928 is RWD and only has the lateral slave.

From the 928 thread there is still a bit of confusion if the pressure bleeder is supposed to be attached or not when bleeding the pdas slaves.

Anyone have experience and know if that makes it bleed better for the pdas slaves?
Old 01-25-2020, 07:04 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

The process of lock bleeds doesn't use the Motive pressure bleeder.

Just fill the reservoir to max. Commence the process and collect about 250ml per traverse / longitudal slave. Using the PDT999 if fills fast, pulsing like a fast heart rate.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:06 PM
Myles Maycher
Advanced

Perfect. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:00 AM
andy73
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. Found this kit on eBay. Is this what I need?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273362395986
Old 01-26-2020, 02:47 AM
willmip
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by andy73
Thanks for all the help guys. Found this kit on eBay. Is this what I need?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273362395986

That's the one.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:42 AM
andy73
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by willmip
That's the one.
great stuff.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:24 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles Maycher
there is still a bit of confusion if the pressure bleeder is supposed to be attached or not when bleeding the pdas slaves.
Grab a copy of the 964 Workshop Manuals and take a look at Section 47 - 1. There are a few pages in Section D39/45 that are really helpful too.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
4708 Replacing Brake Fluid.pdf (935.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-13-2021, 01:17 PM
Wgwollet
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hi

Originally Posted by Goughary
I had an issue once where my diff slave was sticking - i rebuilt it and haven't had a problem since. Honestly it sounds in your case that the issue is in the diff...but if you want to try rebuilding the slave w new seals, i have them available still. It's an easy rebuild.

Have you checked your trans fluid? Over time we lose a fair bit of fluid through the old flange seals that inevitably let some out...

Also, there is a drain hole in the bottom of the diff slave- put a pin up trough there and make sure that is clean, quite possible it's a vacuum issue the piston presses in, and then if that hole isn't open, maybe it's having a problem retracting? Just a thought there. Never seen that issue, but always good to hit the free fixes before the expensive ones...
i need those seals please 317-416-9350

Quick Reply: 964 C4 pdas slave cylinder pressure valve what does it do