Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Space saver in the frunk - safety?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:29 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts

That confirms it then, to me. No one mentioned there being any official written direction until now.

I haven't considered taking my spare out (yet) but will leave it where it belongs unless I have to use it.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:44 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

Different times when these cars were built, and that’s a huge part of the appeal for me.

My spare is in place but still a very interesting logic being employed. Using the spare obviously requires removing it from the trunk. The tiny contact patch reduces the handling and braking capabilities of the vehicle while simultaneously increasing the possibility of serious injury in a crash. Can you imagine any manufacturer today requiring the removal of an integral safety component in order to get back on the road after a flat tire?

I can almost see it in paragraph 10 chapter five, “...after installing spare tire, remove airbag from steering wheel before continuing to nearest repair facility at a speed not to exceed 45 mph...”
Old 01-22-2019, 04:18 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXdriver
paragraph 10 chapter five, “...after installing spare tire, remove airbag from steering wheel before continuing to nearest repair facility at a speed not to exceed 45 mph...”

"with eyes ahead, hands in the 10 and 2 position and seat belt safely fastened."
Old 01-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
My front tires are 11 years old and look good so I don't care to change them before they are worn out!
You should and as soon as possible.

80% of effective braking occurs on the front axle. The tires are the most important safety feature on any car, don't be cheap. It is not about how much tread is left, it is the heating and cooling cycles which make them hard and slippery.

Besides, you will really enjoy the car so much more with new tires. It is totally worth it.

Regards,

Old 01-23-2019, 08:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
You should and as soon as possible.

80% of effective braking occurs on the front axle. The tires are the most important safety feature on any car, don't be cheap. It is not about how much tread is left, it is the heating and cooling cycles which make them hard and slippery.

Besides, you will really enjoy the car so much more with new tires. It is totally worth it.

Regards,

Not sure how I missed that. Porsche says change tires after 6 years. I did not use my turbo for more than a few hundred miles a year for a couple of years while I played with other toys and honestly the MPS2's had 75% tread and were all over the road. When I pulled the 8 year old tires and mounted them on spare rims for just sitting in the garage over winter months they were dry rotted and I ended up with large bubbles in the sidewall.

It hurt to throw away what looked like new tires at a $1500 expenditure but it was worth it for driving fun and safety. I can't imagine how bad they are at 11 years. I also keep my cars in a climate controlled garage.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

To add to the tire thing- tires are also dependent on proper storage- if you store your tires where it gets very hot, they last a very short time. If you store them in tire bags in a climate controlled basement - they last much longer. Ideally, they go into a sealed plastic bag and stored in low to medium humidity in a 55-65 degree basement where the temps don't fluctuate. You will get more years.

As tires get harder, and go through heat cycles- the big issue is they get very inconsistent. Aside from having less grip, the grip you get will be unpredictable. That's the bigger issue. So you'll be driving on what you think is a reasonably good tire, and you'll get into a corner and grip grip grip, and then they let go out of the blue. It's not fun. And it becomes dangerous. This happens to my winter tires since they are high up in a hot garage all summer. Bummer for me, but it's the only place i have to store them. So effectively in this case, they should be replaced earlier.

The best way to experience this is to get out on a track with old track tires- not old street tires- proper slicks that have been used - get them hot and do a bunch of hot laps, then swap to the same tire but new. The difference is staggering, and you see immediately how easy it is to drive at the edge versus having had to really work the car to keep it at the edge.

Anyway. Store tires in a cool environment in plastic bags. They are rubber.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Goughary +1

To ad, tires have a date on them, 4 numbers, 2 for the year and 2 for the week they are manufactured, after 6 years the rubber is not good so not much grip anymore.
so numbers to watch when we by them, I hate to be sold "new" tires that are 1 or 2 years old.
One other thing, track tires have heat cycles once they rich those maximum hit cycles they need to be change.
Back to topic I sold my spare wheel years ago and bough a tire repair kit, saving weight and space in the boot.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Space saver in the frunk - safety?