Please help me ID these brake calipers... - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Please help me ID these brake calipers...

 
Old 12-06-2018, 02:26 PM
  #1  
C4TT
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 584
Default Please help me ID these brake calipers...

Hi guys,
my wide body 964/993 seems to have big reds but I’d like to confirm that or whatever they are so that i can order some street friendly brake pads. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

Rear

Front

Last edited by C4TT; 12-06-2018 at 02:47 PM.
C4TT is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM
  #2  
C4TT
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 584
Default

Sorry for the large images...
C4TT is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:51 PM
  #3  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,859
Default

Originally Posted by C4TT View Post
Hi guys,
my wide body 964/993 seems to have big reds but I’d like to confirm that or whatever they are so that i can order some street friendly brake pads. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

Rear

Front
Front is a Big red for sure, the back is not(though it is red). The back is one of 4 possible rear calipers all but 1 came in black oe
3 possibilities that were all black oe are,
964RS 30/34 which would be used w/ 24mm thick rotor, either solid face or drilled face
stock 964 28/30 which would be used w/ a 24mm think rotor, either solid face or drilled face
964 3.3t which would be used w/ a 28mm thick rotor, drilled only
the 4th possibility which was red oe is 964 3.6t which would use the same rotor as the 3.3t
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 04:24 PM
  #4  
C4TT
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 584
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Front is a Big red for sure, the back is not(though it is red). The back is one of 4 possible rear calipers all but 1 came in black oe
3 possibilities that were all black oe are,
964RS 30/34 which would be used w/ 24mm thick rotor, either solid face or drilled face
stock 964 28/30 which would be used w/ a 24mm think rotor, either solid face or drilled face
964 3.3t which would be used w/ a 28mm thick rotor, drilled only
the 4th possibility which was red oe is 964 3.6t which would use the same rotor as the 3.3t
Thank you for the detailed response. I've narrowed her down to either stock 964 or 964 RS. I'd imagine someone would buy big reds for the front and swap the calipers to the rear.

I do notice some black paint under the red paint. Perhaps a respray?

What would you recommend in terms of brake pad size? I was going to do Pagid Yellows.
C4TT is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:16 PM
  #5  
C4TT
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 584
Default

I pulled the pads and have confirmed the fronts are big reds, and the rears are 964 C2 front calipers painted red and mounted out back. Thank you again Bill.

Now the quest for the perfect street friendly track-able pad setup!
C4TT is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:27 PM
  #6  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,859
Default

Originally Posted by C4TT View Post
Thank you for the detailed response. I've narrowed her down to either stock 964 or 964 RS. I'd imagine someone would buy big reds for the front and swap the calipers to the rear.

I do notice some black paint under the red paint. Perhaps a respray?

What would you recommend in terms of brake pad size? I was going to do Pagid Yellows.
Even w/ 30/34 rears your brakes are heavily front bised, if it's stock 964 28/30 then it's even worse.
what the 964 Cups w/ similar brake setups did was to remove the rear brake p/v
Even w/ that done more rear is desirable.
pagid yellows are excellent pads, w/ 29 getting the nod over 19. Then use RST1 or 2 rear.

Unfortunately Paagid has changed there pad selections in recent years, there used to be a black that was appropriate for the rear but I don't think it's available any longer
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:33 PM
  #7  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,859
Default

Originally Posted by C4TT View Post
I pulled the pads and have confirmed the fronts are big reds, and the rears are 964 C2 front calipers painted red and mounted out back. Thank you again Bill.

Now the quest for the perfect street friendly track-able pad setup!
Then you have an even bigger problem,

too much front is not ideal but at least it is safe

Too much rear which is what having fronts in back does is just plain unsafe for 2 reasons
1) too much rear bias
2) the fronts want 28mm rotors w/ a minimum 26mm thickness, you are at least 2mm under spec

It's doubtful that you can find 964RS rears so most are using 993 rears as a functional equivalent, there are some minor cosmetic differences aside from being black. These are the best currently available option for you.

964 t rears won't work at all and the correct big reds though they bolt on require 322x28mm rotors that won't work w/ your oe parking brakes.
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:17 PM
  #8  
C4TT
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 584
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Then you have an even bigger problem,

too much front is not ideal but at least it is safe

Too much rear which is what having fronts in back does is just plain unsafe for 2 reasons
1) too much rear bias
2) the fronts want 28mm rotors w/ a minimum 26mm thickness, you are at least 2mm under spec

It's doubtful that you can find 964RS rears so most are using 993 rears as a functional equivalent, there are some minor cosmetic differences aside from being black. These are the best currently available option for you.

964 t rears won't work at all and the correct big reds though they bolt on require 322x28mm rotors that won't work w/ your oe parking brakes.
I’ll need to conduct some testing. The car was prepped for track use so it seems fine for street use thus far. It will spend most of its time in the street so who knows.
C4TT is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM
  #9  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,859
Default

Originally Posted by C4TT View Post

I’ll need to conduct some testing. The car was prepped for track use so it seems fine for street use thus far. It will spend most of its time in the street so who knows.
At low speeds it'll never be an issue, hard or panic stops from speed is where the issue arises, rears will lock first often leading to loss of control,ABS & AWD help but don't cure the issue
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 PM
  #10  
C4TT
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 584
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Then you have an even bigger problem,

too much front is not ideal but at least it is safe

Too much rear which is what having fronts in back does is just plain unsafe for 2 reasons
1) too much rear bias
2) the fronts want 28mm rotors w/ a minimum 26mm thickness, you are at least 2mm under spec

It's doubtful that you can find 964RS rears so most are using 993 rears as a functional equivalent, there are some minor cosmetic differences aside from being black. These are the best currently available option for you.

964 t rears won't work at all and the correct big reds though they bolt on require 322x28mm rotors that won't work w/ your oe parking brakes.
Just to be clear, my front rotors are 32mm thick. The rears are 24mm.
C4TT is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM
  #11  
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
Bill Verburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 10,859
Default

Originally Posted by C4TT View Post
Just to be clear, my front rotors are 32mm thick. The rears are 24mm.
I understand that. big reds want 322x32mm rotors, that is what I see.

964 fronts want 298x28mm rotors, w/ a wear limit of 26mm. You apparently have these fronts in the back on stock 964 299x24mm rotors.

That is one of the 2 issues you have
Bill Verburg is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 01:23 PM
  #12  
C4TT
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 584
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
I understand that. big reds want 322x32mm rotors, that is what I see.

964 fronts want 298x28mm rotors, w/ a wear limit of 26mm. You apparently have these fronts in the back on stock 964 299x24mm rotors.

That is one of the 2 issues you have
So it's 964 RS rear caliper or 993 big red, but then no parking brake?
I'm surprised there isn't an aftermarket fix for this.

Thanks
C4TT is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 02:50 PM
  #13  
C4TT
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 584
Default

I just measured the rear pistons which came in at 26mm for the top and 30mm for the bottom piston.

The old Pagid reds measure 16mm front and 15.5mm rear in total pad thickness. So clearly the rear is working harder, granted the weight is greater in the back.

Last edited by C4TT; 12-07-2018 at 03:38 PM.
C4TT is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:18 PM
  #14  
spartansix
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
spartansix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 279
Default

You should pick up a set of 993 C2 rear brakes and swap them in.
It's shouldn't be terribly expensive (often available on ebay or at one of the dismantlers) and will improve your brake bias.
spartansix is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 03:22 PM
  #15  
C4TT
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 584
Default

Originally Posted by spartansix View Post
You should pick up a set of 993 C2 rear brakes and swap them in.
It's shouldn't be terribly expensive (often available on ebay or at one of the dismantlers) and will improve your brake bias.
And the parking brake will still work? Thank you for chiming in
C4TT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: