Sponsored by:

Confused '93 964

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 06:22 AM
adewatson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused '93 964

I am going to look at a '93 uk model 964 which according to the vendor seems nice and straight. A little wear on the interior but nothing major. Everything else works and has full history.

I am, however, a little confused as the car was built in '93 but registered in the UK for the first time in 1996 as a new vehichle.

Is it possible that the car was sat in a dealer for 3 years without being registered?

Any suggestions as to why this could be or if anyone has come accross this before would be much appreciated.

Obviously I don't want to buy a lemon!

Thanks in advance

Adrian
Old 01-29-2004, 06:25 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a few 964s did sit around for a while. And if it really was a 93, then it was about the time 993s came out - so why would most people take the "old" model instead?

Whatever you do - get a PPI done. Hopefully then, you won't get a lemon.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:32 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Adrian,
Yes I have seen this before. My favourite example was the 1990 model year 944 first registered in the UK in 1994. Yes it happens and there are often quite logical reasons which may make it a special buy. Sometimes a Porsche is ordered to meet special customer requirements. Then during the process the order is cancelled or changed and the whole thing gets delayed. There may be other pressing work to be done. It gets put to one side at the factory and eventually is completed. Then they cannot find a dealer to take it for a while. Eventually it is sold, then it is shipped and then a say 2 year old model Porsche is put on the lot. Very few people purchase 2 year old cars at new prices. Eventually a deal is made and off it goes. Having lived in this part of the world for so long such things are not unusual. I have seen cars in lots for years driving past them everyday.
I would certainly advise you ask and get hold of the delivery papers because this might be a bit if a special.
However do not tell them anything like you know.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-29-2004, 06:42 AM
adewatson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Adrian, do you know how I would go about obtaining a copy of the delivery papers?

Thanks

Adrian
Old 01-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Adrian,
If they are not with the 964 you will have to find the original dealer who brought the car in. Archiving is not something that is required but they may still have the records.
The original purchaser may also be worth contacting.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: Confused '93 964