Sponsored by:

Ride height - possibly dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:54 PM
pitts12driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride height - possibly dumb question

I’ve read a bunch of threads on ride height comparing different models. What I can’t figure out is where it is measured. Is there a datum somewhere that everyone knows about? Or is it as simple as “from the ground to the center of the wheel?” Or fender lip. Or something... All help appreciated.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:29 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Have a look at my thread called lowering help. Im installing lowering springs at the end of January.
Helpful people have uploaded the datum points on there. The ground to centre of wheel measurement will always be the same and measuring from the ground to the wheel arches will be inaccurate as all cars (could) be slightly different.
Hope this helps
Old 11-23-2018, 05:51 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pitts12driver
I’ve read a bunch of threads on ride height comparing different models. What I can’t figure out is where it is measured. Is there a datum somewhere that everyone knows about? Or is it as simple as “from the ground to the center of the wheel?” Or fender lip. Or something... All help appreciated.
from the ground to the highest point of the roof!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:30 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

I have always measured center cap to top of wheel arch.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-23-2018, 12:45 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

So when folks reference RS +1 or whatever, what are they actually referencing? Lol.

I always measure from ground to top of wheel arch. Make sure that both fronts match and both rears match.
I keep track of number of turns of the coil over perches too.
additionally, I measure after making a change then again after driving it around the block once.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:20 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by pitts12driver
What I can’t figure out is where it is measured.
There are some photos showing the location(s) and a threaded rod "tool" in THIS thread.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:31 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
I have always measured center cap to top of wheel arch.
Mr. Wolfe
Some coilover companies use this method to give you the +/- range but it is hard to be accurate since you are eyeballing the center of the cap. To make sure I was within KW's specs, I hooked my tape measure on the bottom lip of the wheel, measured to the fender, and then subtracted the radius. This is much more accurate IMO.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
There are some photos showing the location(s) and a threaded rod "tool" in THIS thread.
^^^ This thread linked by Jason shows the proper measuring points. I made a couple threaded rod tools (1 for front and 1 for rear), and used them to set my ride height. Once done, I then confirmed I was within KW's range by using my method above.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Some coilover companies use this method to give you the +/- range but it is hard to be accurate since you are eyeballing the center of the cap. To make sure I was within KW's specs, I hooked my tape measure on the bottom lip of the wheel, measured to the fender, and then subtracted the radius. This is much more accurate IMO.
Maybe this is a BMW thing then, not sure. For instance, optimal e46 M3 specs are 13.5" front and 13.0" rear from center of cap to top of fender. Though, with BMW center caps, you always have the exact center of them because of the BMW logo.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-24-2018, 03:15 AM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US, ROW, and RS ride heights are all measured from the points specified in Jason's link. So US front spec is 175 mm, ROW is 165mm and RS is 125mm. RS + is the mm added to the 125 mm front RS spec and 223mm rear RS spec. E.g., RS+15 is 140mm front and 238mm rear.

Quick Reply: Ride height - possibly dumb question