Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How accurate is the miles remaining guage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 02:34 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How accurate is the miles remaining guage?

I ran my car down on fuel watching the miles to go on the computer to find it jumped from around 20 miles remaining down to around 8 then it jumped down to 1 as I crawled to the fuel station. When I stopped at a light it would go in between 8 and 1. Seems a little weird once it drops below 20 miles to go mark. I guess I will just start looking for fuel once the warning light goes on. It seems to go on when the computer claims it has around 70 miles left to go? seems a bit innaccurate to me.

Opinions?
Old 01-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The computer is constantly calculating what your average consumption was over the last short period (i.e. I have no idea of the actual period per se), therefore it will always be inaccurate as it struggles to maintain a balance between accuracy and reaction time.

For example, if you have 2 gallons left and are cruising at 70mph, chances are the display will say for example 65 miles left. Then, you turn off the freeway and you get in stuck in traffic for a few minutes. Your average consumption for the period goes down to 8 MPG and is rapidly falling as you are of course going nowhere. What will the display say - probably alot less than 65 and in only a few minutes.

This is a general explanation on how a lot of the computers work, I am not sure how exactly the 964 in particular works in this respect.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

At least you dont have a trip computer like my Mercedes that waits until you have 1/4 tank left and then stops reporting how many miles remaining and just blinks the words "FUEL"!!!

Too stupid IMHO as the only time I actually CARE how many miles I have left is when I am v. low on fuel and trying to get to a gas station without breaking down! I mean...1/4 tank!!!!!!!!!!! someone should be shot for even botheringg to incorporate such a redundant feature! LOL!

--H
Old 01-29-2004, 08:29 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Christer

do you have an onboard computer thingy in your 964? If not, surely you are not qualified to repsond to this thread.......

...(obviously kidding for any irony deficient readers out there, though of course it wasn't irony per se.....)
Old 01-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Christer
Race Car

Actually John, I demand an apology. This is getting completely out of control. You can't just come here and 'threaten' me with that. Shame on you.

( )

p.s. I have an OBC, so I am totally qualified.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:56 PM
johnfm
Drifting

B*llocks!! I was hoping you didn't have the OBC!!

I was about to offer an apology, but I see that Greg Dyke just resigned. Will that do??
Old 01-30-2004, 05:19 AM
Andy uk
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the most inacurate computer I've ever seen, when the fuel light comes on it shows usually about 80 miles to empty, the furthest I've managed to do from this point is 34 miles, the miles to go then changed to ---- at which point I dived into the petrol station, I don't know how much fuel was actually left.

Andy
Old 01-30-2004, 07:34 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Mine seems OK. Stangely, mine is a KM OBC, and the light usually comes on with 100 km to go. I have had it down to 20 km.

Alot depends on whtehr you're cruising or in stop start traffic as Christer earlier suggetsed.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Christer
Race Car

I have had mine 4 miles or so past the point where the dashes are displayed. I can't now remember how much fuel I got into the tank when filling it. I guess that would be the best way to judge if you are brave enough.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:58 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Of course - once you run out of petrol and free-wheel over to the side of the road, the word "brave" is instantly replaced by "stupid"!

Quick Reply: How accurate is the miles remaining guage?