Turbocharged

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbocharged

Hello all

with all the work recently done on my 1989 C4, I now want more power, lol.

i searched the forum and only see couple threads about supercharged, but none discuss about the tuning aspect of force induction. After removing the cat and both mufflers, there’s plenty of room in the rear for the turbo. I know a very good fabricator, so the mechanical stuffs will get done.
Any insight on the tuning part? I just want something a little faster, probably a 30R with about 7psi of boost. Can the stock fuel system handle that? Can the ECU accommodates that? I would like to stay away from stand alone ECU if I can.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Look into Protomotive. They make a bolt on kit with a pair of Garrett turbos with modified OEM heat exchangers. It requires custom tuning via chip or new engine management, a fuel pressure regulator, and larger injectors. The exhaust, intake, and intercooler piping is fairly straight forward.

The Protomotive kit on the 993 in my garage made 325whp on 7psi on a Mustang dyno at sea level, 71 deg F. Over 25k miles on the kit and it's an amazing setup. Stock motor freshly rebuilt at the time of install.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:03 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

My track car had a protomotive twin turbo setup on a 993 engine in my 964. below is a dyno chart done on the same day with the protomotive setup. You can see the turbo chart vs a relatively stock 964 C2. A nice setup although I had an intake valve failure while turning the car with a haltech elite. The failure appears to be the result of work done to the engine prior to the addition of the turbos. I have seen these setups last for 10's of thousand of miles without issue. The car was fast prior at 2700 pounds it could pull on 991.1GT3's on track.

When I switched to the Haltech the car was putting down 450 RWTQ at 3800 RPMS on the mustang at 7 PSI without any knocking. We were going to lower the boost pressure and use a boost controller to tune when the valve broke from what appears to be a slipped valve guide. I believe the guide was replaced by the PO and slipped .250" causing the valve to hit the piston which resulted in the break. This happened at 1300 rpms without any signs of a problem.

So now the engine is opened and I am rebuilding everything. I would consider the protomotive kit although if I were to do it again from the begining I would have done a rebuild with upgraded valve springs, Ti retainers and possibly lower compression pistons as I am doing now. Although the 964 11.0;1 compression ratio is better than the 993's 11.3:1 to start. I purchased the engine complete and was hoping to get more life from it before needing to do a rebuild. Lesson learned.

The Haltech will allow for far better and safer tuning but for street use it is probably not necessary since you won't be pushing the car as hard or at consistent high RPMs. The Hlatech will also allow me to have multiple power settings and has the ability to add all sorts of features but finding someone who can tune the car along with the added expense is a bit overwhelming.

I am slowly rebuilding mine and hope to have it done in a month or so. I will post results and dyno charts when done.

Quick Reply: Turbocharged