Sponsored by:

Cable Route for a CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Andy uk
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable Route for a CD Changer

I've just bought a cd changer & would like to install it in the front luggage compartment. Having removed the carpets at lunch time, there does not appear to be an obvious route to pass the cable through from the back of the radio. Is there a factory fitted grommet anywhere that I should be looking for?

Andy
Old 01-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Hi andy

Search the archives for the detail but if you have a lhd and you have your head in the bonnet then on your left hand side right up by the bonnet hinge there is a hole that goes throught he inside of the wing, it comes out through a grommet in the passenger footwell on the right hand side.

Cheers
Rob

ps when putting the changer in the luggage compartment there are lots of tried and tested methods, i found the best way was sticky velcroe strips to attach it to the petrol tank under the carpet.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:43 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one on each side. For mine, I routed it on the driver side (RHD). Just to the right of the steering column there is a grommet with a big thick part of the harness going through. I pushed mine through there. It's fiddly to get to it from the luggage compartment - but it helped when I took the clock out of the dash and prodded it with a chop stick. I think I posted some more details at the time - I'll try and find it.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:48 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Well I found it - but it doesn't say much more than I just did. Except that I pulled the speedo out, not the clock.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

My cables go thru the right side wiring harness rubber in the upper right dash area.
There is space in the rubber where the cables from the fuse box go thru. Use plenty of vaseline or silicone spray/WD-40 to pull the cable tru the rubber. First use a weldind wire and connect the CD cables on it with Duc tape. then pull the cables thu. No drilling requierd.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Andy uk
8th Gear

Thanks for the replies,
I'll have another look under the bonnet, I did try searching the archives - it won't let you search for "cd", both changer and audio didn't come up with anything sensible, any other suggestions as to what to search by?

Having checked the cable that needs to be installed, i was shocked to see that the moulded plug at each end is about 25mm across so its going to take a fairly large hole to get it through.

Andy
Old 01-27-2004, 11:53 AM
DaveK
Race Car

You will need to pull the grommet out (down) to get the plug through - I did. I think the grommets are harder to get to from the luggage compartment - you want to do it from under the dash and try and poke it through.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:14 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

Or you can cut the plug off - that's what I had to do to get it off.

I used to have the changer mounted in my luggage compartment/front hood, but moved it! Mine was mounted with a 10 pound bar as you can see in the image - it scared me having it like that, so I removed the CD changer and placed it in the rear storage bin behind the passenger. I like it there better.

But I did have to resort to cutting off the plug - I didn't feel like pulling off the grommet - which is a pretty crafty idea!!! So, DaveK, that is how they got it through there!!!??!
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2004, 04:15 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is how it mounted to the brake reservior - yikes!
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2004, 04:16 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's where it used to live, mounted to that bracket shown above:
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2004, 07:14 PM
ian c - u.k

Originally posted by DaveK
and prodded it with a chop stick.
i scoured my snap-on catalog , but i cannot find any reference to this tool .
where can i buy one ??
Old 01-28-2004, 05:59 AM
Andy uk
8th Gear

OK I've had another look last night, still not sure where under the dash I should be looking. Dave could you clarify the grommet you used please ? if I were using a chopstick would I be pointing it verticaly up under the dash, or horizontaly towards the front of the car?

The only route I've found that might work is a grommet behind the accelerator pedal, the holes not big enough to get the cable connectors through, but I might just cut & rejoin the cable.

Andy
Old 01-28-2004, 08:06 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Hi,
At least for the route I took, you're too low. The grommet I used was just under the dash - on a RHD car, it's to the right of the steering column. I'll try to get a photo now, and upload it - although never tried it before and not sure it will show much.

I used the chopstick to poke through the speedo hole - allowed me to direct the cable out through the heater servos etc in the luggage compartment.

And people may scoff but chopsticks are very handy tools - fairly slim, made of wood so won't short anything out and longer than most screwdrivers!
Old 01-28-2004, 08:14 AM
DaveK
Race Car

OK - just tried but can't get a clear photo - I can describe where the grommet I used is though :

If you look under the dash (drivers side) you will see the foot heater-box thing attached to the bottom of the dash. Running beside this (on the door side) is a whole load of wires. Hidden above them is a grommet into the luggage compartment (along with t a wire that goes through there, obviously). This is all roughly in line with the speedo - the hole actually comes out behind the speedo and up into the luggage compartment.

Quick Reply: Cable Route for a CD Changer