Maybe not cruise control??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:18 PM
john thompson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe not cruise control??

Hi guys,

Last week or so, I posted about my 91 C4 dying suddenly while cruise control engaged. Car stared right up only to have the same thling happen a few miles later....Couldn't get it to do it with out engaging the cruise control

This past weekend, the same dying took place without using the cruise control.....It felt like I could stop it from happening by pulling the disengaging cruise control lever, but was not certain....When I got to work, I pulled the c/c fuse....All he way home 90 min....I have no problem at all, car was perfect, except for wet feet, it was raining cats and dogs and water drips in thru the fresh air duct.....

Sunday, i dryed all the water out....found out way my car retailed for $70,000! There is a wonderful little piece of plywood under that carpet...God, can you bellieve it... I figure they must have a warehouse full of these and "we'll use them until then are gone then only offer them in carbon fiber" what ancient techonology! Okay, figured it was just the c/c, and no fuse = no system so every thing okay.

NOT, tonight on the way home, the same thing happened...QUESTIONS

1...Will any part of the c/c work without the inline fuse?

2....What does a plugged fuel filter feel like, could it duplicate these symptoms?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Thompson
Rockport, Tx
Old 01-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you checked the DME relay? It's in the front fuse box. If it has a 944 part number, you should replace it with the updated 993 relay. When it starts to go bad, it shuts off the fuel pump........... Just a thought.
-Eric
90 C2
NER/PCA
Old 01-27-2004, 09:20 AM
john thompson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
I pulled the relay out and read about it in Adrian's BOOK. How do you distinguish if it is a 944 part....Mine says vw audi....no 993 number or 944 number or 964 numbers anywhere....It does have a date on it.....It is 6/90.
My car is a 1991. The other relays (same size type) are also exactly the same as the DME fuel pump relay..
Thoughts? I guess, I'll order one anyway just to have.

Caio Ya'll

John Thompson
TEXAS
Old 01-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The 944 part has a 944 part number (I'm just so helpful sometimes....). I'm not sure what the VW/Audi part matches (either old, or new relay). If it looks "old", like it was really from 6/90, then I'd replace it with the 993 #'d relay. Keep the old relay, in case after a few years the new relay fails.
-Eric

Quick Reply: Maybe not cruise control??