Sponsored by:

Unbiased opinion on RWB

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Unbiased opinion on RWB

Hey everyone, I wanted to get everyones' non-biased opinion on RWB; craftsmanship, durability, etc. I've seen the build videos and find it amazing that all of the work is done by one person; definitely very commendable.

Thanks everyone
Old 10-30-2018, 08:02 PM
synth19
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 10-30-2018, 08:10 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

I've been fairly critical of rwb- cuz my biased opinion is that they are a bit ridiculous- at least the "made in an afternoon in Brooklyn" type.

Last edited by Goughary; 10-31-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:37 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

We just assisted with this build - everything was done with the upmost attention to detail. I think it depends what you start out with (car) and the people involved. Nakai San is an incredible builder. Of course, it's not for everyone...

http://www.speedhunters.com/2018/10/...d-classic-911/
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-30-2018, 09:05 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I have zero issues with modding a car the way you want. I have a MAJOR problem with taking a sawzall to the fenders of a Porsche so that you can bolt on fiberglass flairs.

The only RWB I have seen in person was literally falling apart.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:14 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brammy

how is he an incredible builder? He isn’t building anything he is tacking on fender flares and other useless non functional parts
Perhaps builder was not the correct word to use - customizer would better describe what he does. As I said, it's not for everyone; but the following is definitely there.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 PM
mowaffaq
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Why someone would want any of these kit cars is beyond my comprehension. I can easily imagine major safety incidents when such products are driven at peak performance; and I'm yet to see particularly impressive performance figures compared to pre-mod'ed cars.
If aesthetics is the goal, then go for it and don't look back, for it is in the eye of the beholder. Cutting up fenders and all that jazz used to bother me immensely but it does no more.. to each their own and cars are just cars so hack as you please. When you do so, however, OWN the whole idea from soup to nuts. Be original, creative and bring to the table something that is worth writing off another classic.
I personally feel that one would be better off investing all the funds spent on these rather expensive kits in a proper well-sorted honest car to truly experience what these cars are about, and then move on to different iterations to live the history of Porsche, if you're a die-hard fan that is. Once one has done that, I can bet that the appeal of missing up, I mean resto-mod'ing, a car, that in its primal form created all this hype, is, for me personally, an irrational exuberance.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:06 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

There is nothing separating the steel rollbar from your skull. This wouldn’t pass tech anywhere. Who would want to be associated with this liability?
Old 10-30-2018, 10:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Personally it’s not for me however I totally get it and don’t take issue with it. The whole point of the RWB cars to me is show, similar to a low rider. The modifications don’t really enhance performance even though some modifications may appear to do so.

Bottom line is that we all love cars for different reasons and I would prefer that we have more car enthusiasts than less, even if it means they appreciate different things.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:24 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Most suck. Just bolt on fashion.
Bbi has one they are building that is pretty insane. Proper everything. No holds barred build.

I’m not sure i would call nakaisan a builder. Shows up with his crew and a box of tools, He cuts the fenders and bolts bits on and then heads out.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

we did a lot of this "body kit" stuff in late 80.
but of course, bell bottom and funky 70 stuff are also coming back.
the only mod you need is your right foot. make it heavy and floor it
Old 10-31-2018, 07:07 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

"It’s worth pointing out that this particular EV West conversion required no modifications to the body or the chassis of the 911. In fact, it even utilizes the factory mounting holes in the engine bay, meaning that the car maintains its integrity as well as its value as a classic." just don't pay attention to the cut up body panels.

This silliness is not for me. I cut the fenders and flared my M3 race car to fit bigger rubber for purpose. Posers on the street do it for attention.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:58 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

RWB = Racecar Wanna Be. Put that fender flare money in to driver ed.

Unbiased opinions are boring and anyone who had spend any time thinking about RWB will be biased one way or another. The whole idea behind RWB is to leave strong impression and promote strong opinions.

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 10-31-2018, 12:19 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

RWB fit and finish depend on the donor body and the painter.

RWB transform an everyday 911 to a slammed widebody Porsche racer look. It becomes a RSR look on steroids.

I am not sure of what additional stress is put on the wheel bearings etc with massive offset wheels.
I am also not sure how functional the car would be on the track.

The stock engine dosnt really live up to the body style. One would almost want to use a turbo model for the conversion to at least have the bite match the bark.

personally, I think they have their place for the street sceene crowd but I wouldnt be doing it to decent 911 examples as donors....

It is an attention niche for a younger generation. Nothing wrong with doing it to cars with salvage titles or tired cars with high mileage etc..
964 and 911 donors are no longer "cheap" however. So it is hard for me to stomach cutting up a perfectly good 911.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:23 PM
synth19
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

I like RWB and the entire look. These cars starting in Japan are/were driven hard with motorsport roots. Today it seems like anyone can commission a RWB, but builds them for the wrong reasons. I hardly ever see any of these cars on a track. I think this is the main reason for the backlash.

Quick Reply: Unbiased opinion on RWB