Unbiased opinion on RWB

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 05:21 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

This

Originally Posted by emissary
[...] That said, the RWB conversion doesn't change the drivability of the car that much, [...]
and

Originally Posted by emissary
[...] It is up to you to get the wheels (10.5 width front, 12-13 width rear) and tires. [...]
Can't go in the same sentence

Beautiful cartoon cars (I mean it!) and insta-worthy. It's just not my thing.

Last edited by HDA; 11-02-2018 at 05:21 PM. Reason: learning to quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:56 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts

A question if you please — did you actually do the conversion to an original Mint Green Coupe ?
Old 11-02-2018, 08:10 PM
emissary
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by euge
Where did you get the fiberglass interior panels? My sand carpet looks lake crap and i was looking to rip it out and replace with something like this.
They were custom laid by the shop that painted the car. I remain surprised that no one offers this as an installable product; the demand seems to be there.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:14 PM
emissary
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
This
and
Can't go in the same sentence
The steering definitely feels a bit heavier with the heavier wheels. But at least for spirited street driving the difference isn't that significant (I can't comment on how different it would be towards the limit on the track).

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Beautiful cartoon cars (I mean it!) and insta-worthy. It's just not my thing.
Thanks! I agree, it's not for everyone.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:17 PM
emissary
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnK964
A question if you please — did you actually do the conversion to an original Mint Green Coupe ?
No, I did not. The build car was originally Guards Red. The mint color on the 964 backdate is actually a custom color; we started with Porsche Mint Green and brightened it a bit. The 993 was factory Slate Gray, although it had been recently resprayed shortly before I purchased it. Both cars were purchased from Rennlisters.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:34 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

If the mint car had the smooth fenders from some RWB's, it would be one of my favorites. Very nice build either way.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:36 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Ljuice10
Lol, you have no idea what you are talking about, but think what you want. Have a great day brotha. Let’s drive.

I suppose you know better? I guess I must be new to this.

No entourage? Not the case with the build I posted.

There were 5 or so IIRC.

Of the many i have seen I rarely see one with anything more than the body kit. It is nice to see the underside matches the topside. I do like the R clone.

Last edited by cobalt; 11-02-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

It's funny that so many in here are criticizing another man/womens decision to customize their ride, all the while the RWB owners are out there driving to and from Vegas as we speak, doing track days in there cars, and racing them in Japan and all over the world. Why don't we all just respect each other decision to modify or not modify and just drive. I think the owners would say, One Love and stay ROUGH....
Owners dinner from SEMA 2018.
Lol, you have no idea what you are talking about, but think what you want. Have a great day brotha. Let’s drive.
Let's see here. The thread title was "Unbiasad opinion on RWB"
Most Porsche owners I know think they are the equivalent of the 80's aftermarket slant nose conversions. All show, minimal go.
MOST I have seen, and I've seen a lot of them, i've been at 2 builds too, are crap builds relative to the look. Decent paint jobs and interior jobs, slap on some shocks or bags, the body kit, and ready to go.
The cars are an homage to the GT2/RSR cars of the day. Bad *** wide body beasts.
Most of these aren't that. They look the part, they don't perform the part.
That is where many get their viewpoint, these are performance cars, and by putting massive over-sized wheels on them you just sucked out a ton of the performance.

Anyway, this one BBI is building is pretty insane. Nakai did the body kit but thats it. BBI built this thing from ground up. Basically has a 997 race car suspension on the 993 body, full motorsport fuel cell, abs, stand alone computer, inboard rear dampers on ohlins ttx, race brakes, proper cup car center locks huge wide w/o the dish as the hubs are pushed out proper. Etc... it's insane. Motor/trans in process. It will look and perform the part once sorted.

View this post on Instagram

There is another 993RSR clone I know of that Rothsport built. It beats up on 991GT cars on track. Insane car. Not an RWB body kit though, german DP I believe.

And yes, Nakai shows up with an entourage at the 2 builds i've been to.

So back to the thread topic, opinion? Not a fan. But, feel free to do what you like, doesn't mean I have to like it. And you don't have to like what I do to my cars.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Prbc4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWB

IMO the RWB transforms the 964 into the look of an exotic or supercar. I saw the lime green one from the philly area down at the Jersey Shore last year, and I can tell you not only did it turn heads, but it pulls crowds of people. It is obnoxious, loud, beautiful and badass all at once. Although I would think it’s tragic to cut up a precious 964, I wouldn’t have a problem cutting up a non-precious one!
Old 11-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Ljuice10
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Let's see here. The thread title was "Unbiasad opinion on RWB"
Most Porsche owners I know think they are the equivalent of the 80's aftermarket slant nose conversions. All show, minimal go.
MOST I have seen, and I've seen a lot of them, i've been at 2 builds too, are crap builds relative to the look. Decent paint jobs and interior jobs, slap on some shocks or bags, the body kit, and ready to go.
The cars are an homage to the GT2/RSR cars of the day. Bad *** wide body beasts.
Most of these aren't that. They look the part, they don't perform the part.
That is where many get their viewpoint, these are performance cars, and by putting massive over-sized wheels on them you just sucked out a ton of the performance.
Here in lies the problem,. You refer to the ones you have seen and only having been to two builds. Go look at the builds from Thailand, and tell me they are all show and no go. Take a look at the US builds like Clermont, El Hefe, RWB kitchener, All these have engines built by Turbokraft pushing 500hp or more with suspensions to match. Look at RWB Pandora 1, RWB built by Jonsibal, RWB built by Vast(BTWNWVS), RWB Tampa #1, RWB Clearwater #1, the number of Miami builds, Emissary's two builds. These are just examples of the many US cars that are built to run. Just because they don't run when people see them out and about, doesn't mean they aren't quality builds, But you are right, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if misinformed.

Last edited by Ljuice10; 11-03-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:03 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 272 Likes on 159 Posts

Here in lies the problem,. You refer to the ones you have seen and only having been to two builds. Go look at the builds from Thailand, and tell me they are all show and no go. Take a look at the US builds like Clermont, El Hefe, RWB kitchener, All these have engines built by Turbokraft pushing 500hp or more with suspensions to match. Look at RWB Pandora 1, RWB built by Jonsibal, RWB built by Vast(BTWNWVS), RWB Tampa #1, RWB Clearwater #1, the number of Miami builds, JohnK964's two builds. These are just examples of the many US cars that are built to run. Just because they don't run when people see them out and about, doesn't mean they aren't quality builds, But you are right, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if misinformed.
Not me Bro you got your RWB owners confused they look like LEGO cars to me JohnK964
Old 11-03-2018, 11:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Here in lies the problem,. You refer to the ones you have seen and only having been to two builds. Go look at the builds from Thailand, and tell me they are all show and no go. Take a look at the US builds like Clermont, El Hefe, RWB kitchener, All these have engines built by Turbokraft pushing 500hp or more with suspensions to match. Look at RWB Pandora 1, RWB built by Jonsibal, RWB built by Vast(BTWNWVS), RWB Tampa #1, RWB Clearwater #1, the number of Miami builds, JohnK964's two builds. These are just examples of the many US cars that are built to run. Just because they don't run when people see them out and about, doesn't mean they aren't quality builds, But you are right, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if misinformed.
Irrespective of all this. So there are a few you mention that have taken it to the next level, but compared to the hundred or so per year he builds most of which appear to be all show there are so many negatives about how he cuts freshly painted cars how he dresses the cuts attaches the flairs and how much drag and negative impact the ultra widebody with oversized negative offset wheels has on the stock suspension geometry. Looks no doubt are subjective but how about some data on how much drag is created by the add on flairs and their width. Look at the drag coefficient of a narrow body 964 vs a stock turbo. There are more cons than pros associated with such radical builds irrespective of performance mods.

If you're going for a look these do catch attention from those that don't have or know but if you want improved handling and performance the added expense to correct what is being done would require all sorts of engineering and cost and I am sure most you mentioned didn't do much to address this.

I spend a lot of time these past 7 years at both my friends body shop and tuning shop and can assure you we can go on ad nauseam about the pros vs cons. My understanding of these cars over the past 40 years and making all sorts of modifications tells me there isn't much that can be said to prove to me that the only advantage to these builds is the attention you gain when showing up at a C&C.

Enjoy what you like but you will never convince me and most here that these perform to the level of a well setup stock widebody in anything other than a straight line if that.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Ljuice10
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK964

Not me Bro you got your RWB owners confused they look like LEGO cars to me JohnK964
You are right, I meant Emissary's builds. I guess we will have a good laugh about that when he's in town.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:47 PM
shiftmechanism
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one did you see? Might be a track focused one. Bc my track car has lots of tapes and rivets ... i have gone through too many splitters and bumpers
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

I suspect many of the people that are fans didn't live through the last time this happened in the Porsche scene. If you did, the novelty of RWB is nothing more than a repeat of the past. To that point, it's easy to find Porsches that were "converted" during that generation priced at a fraction of the cost of a similar stock example. That doesn't guarantee that's what will happen with RWB cars once the trend fades but personally, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Quick Reply: Unbiased opinion on RWB