Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Cover Recommendations.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 09:37 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Car Cover Recommendations.........

What's a good brand car cover to purchase? Sometimes I park my car in a carport, so it is outside but covered. Most of the time the car is in my warehouse though.

What say you?
Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

California Car Cover

I've had several over the years for different cars.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Car covers scare me. So I'll be interested in hearing the comments...

I've always been of the school that the best car cover is "air"...

Probably because when i was a kid, we used to cover the Porsche's and after a short time, the inside of the cover would get dirty and then scratch the **** out of the paint. Granted- they were racecars- so it wasn't a big issue...but i was a kid, so it was my job to clean and detail the cars...i was ok with swirls...but straight line scratches...ugh.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 117 Posts

I keep my 964 in the garage. But im leaning toward the idea of still having it covered. I dont like that some car covers are so tight and made out of material that scratches the paint. Im looking into those car “shower caps” that they sell on amazon. Just to keep it from getting so dusty.
It would be interesting to hear what others use....
Old 10-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

I think I'm just going to eventually strip the paint and cerakote the entire car...lol
Old 10-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm scared of car covers as well! I had a top shelf muscle car before my 964, I left the cover on it outside for a while and it started to sweat, the sweat got under a tiny stone chip in the paint and the whole panel blistered.

Also had a bad experience with a cover on the Porsche (outside).

I personally definately would not use a cover outside anymore. Like goughary says you will inevitably end up with dirt and dust inside the cover, and the wind will move the cover...

Last edited by Dingo; 10-19-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:31 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

My car is garaged. I do have an indoor breathable cover shaped for a 964. I only cover the car if it has been washed and I don’t intend to use it for a while e.g winter, or I am away.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:29 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

I use an indoor cover from a 981 Boxster S. The fit, feel, and finish are excellent for our RSA:

Old 10-20-2018, 09:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Many types of covers for different needs and uses. I keep my cars covered most of the time. Just makes it easier to get in and drive as I am a little OCD when it comes to my cars. Although my DD is a mess.

Ideally you want a cover that is soft against the paint but these usually will allow dust to make it through the cover over time and are useless for outdoor use. Outdoor covers are rough against the paint and under windy conditions can do damage or get blown away. I keep my boxster covered outdoors using a factory cover and it does help keep it clean and free of pollen but under extremely stormy conditions will flutter and can mark the paint if not properly tightened.

IMO for long term indoor storage the ideal cover is a flannel lined indoor cover covered by a breathable dust cover. This will keep the flannel cover from being saturated with dust and the car free of any scratches and always looking clean.

Also a big mistake people make is balling up the cover and leaving it around to get dirty. Properly folding the cover and storing it is important to preventing debris from getting on the inside and doing damage.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:20 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 on the California Car Cover. Soft, breathable, and easy to put on and off. It's not designed to be under direct rain. Use it all the time to keep the dust off. I keep my garage open for my dog and get a lot of dirt and dust in there. Fit's tight enough that if the car was parked outside the wind won't blow it off but loose enough to easily take it off and on. It is the cover on the right and much easier to use than the one on my old 997 pictured on the left. Think its about $190 bucks if I recall.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I’ve been using the satin stretch covers and I find they do a great job protecting the paint from rubs and grazes but not so great at keeping dust out as Anthony noted.

The key to proper cover usage is making sure the car is clean before you install it. Any dirt or existing dust will just embed itself into the cover and become an abrasive. Wipe the car down before installing the cover and you’ll have no issues, at least with indoor covers.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:15 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I think I'm just going to eventually strip the paint and cerakote the entire car...lol
Essentially that's what I do with Suntek ... complete wrap so I never worry about scratching car. Then I cover in garage with Griots form fitting cover ... one of my favorite indoor covers. It shows the shape of the car well.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2018, 06:07 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the opinions guys.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:53 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

So............ great opinions. Here is my takeaway.........

I was mainly considering a cover as an effort to keep the car clean (dust free.) No matter if it's my warehouse where dust collects slowly or my carport where it happens rather quickly, I'll typically take some time to at least hose my car down to knock the dust off before heading out.

I'm reading that in order to avoid scratching the paint, it's optimal to make sure the car is clean BEFORE covering. And when storing the cover itself between uses, use car to put away where you do not risk dirt, etc, to the inside of the cover. Those points make sense to me.

But it looks like even with the use of a cover, I'll be cleaning my car just a frequently as if I didn't use a cover; cleaning the car before storing/covering rather than when I'm about to head out for a drive.

Maybe I should just care a little less. My paint is far from perfect right now anyhow.

Stay tuned for my next thread: Removing everything for a repaint.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:52 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a car cover I bought from Pelican when I first got my 964 from Cover King.
The car stays inside, but it keeps the car from getting dusty. I have not noticed any new scratches from the cover, but that's usually cause I fold it up and put it in the frunk.
Quite useful as either my DD or the wife's parks next to it and whenever I'm doing projects in the garage I'm not getting dust, dirt etc. on it.

Quick Reply: Car Cover Recommendations.........