Sponsored by:

christmas tree effect

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 10:39 AM
TICO
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry christmas tree effect

Greatings from Costa Rica. I own a 1990 911 C2 which I'm having electrical problem and water problems. All the warning lights on the dash board light up and the warning horn sound while driving and the only way to turn extinguish them is turning off the ignition and then back on. I found some water under the carpet on the driver side and haven't been able to locate where it is coming from but I suppose it's what is causing the christmas tree effect. Please I need some help in finding the water problem so I can solve the electrical problem. Thank you very much for help you can give me.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I had this recently. Not sure it was same cause as your, but I had three bad plug ends.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:00 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that plug wires etc. can often be the cause of this, so it may not be the water. Still I guess you want to get rid of that anyway.

I used to get a lot of water in the soundproofing under the carpet - mine was from the door. There should be a waterproof membrane behind the interior door panel, but as time goes by and people replace speakers / alarms / fix problems they get damaged. I was told by me mechanic it's a common cause of leaks. With the door open, feel the bottom of the door - where the carpet joins the bottom of the door. If it's wet, then that is at least part of the cause.

Blocked sunroof drains tubes are also a common cause (and I had that too).
Old 01-24-2004, 02:25 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not had a leak at the front (mine was the rear screen seal) but from what I've read the likely problem areas are the door seals and perhaps blocked drainage vents that may dump their contents on your feet. Ideally to find the leak you want to remove the trim to allow you to lift the carpet around the doors and perhaps the rear side windows to inspect the insulation material. The problem here is that if the material is soaked through you need to remove it too (if it's soaked through it will take days to dry out depending on your climate) in order to line the shell with blotting paper or toilet paper then soak the exterior and see which area of paper gets wet. You may need to check facing uphill or downhill - mine leaked a lot more in one direction than the other!

Check the rear footwells - if they're dry then the chances are your leak is the doors or the draining vents. If the insulation is not sodden you could do the blotting paper test on top of it. If not, you really need to remove the insulation too which is a pain because it is glued down and tends to rip when you lift it

Does your car have a sunroof? Can you check to make sure water is not running under the headlining?
Old 01-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

Tico, hello from Canada. I've been to your wonderful country several times. I'll be there again in March. What I'd like to know is how your 964 survives the potholes in some of your roads. I've hit several in rental cars, driving between San Jose and Los Suenos, some of which have pushed the rim in to its centre. I'd be very nervous driving a Porsche. Aside from the potholes, Costa Rica is amongst the most beautiful countries in the world. Even better, the people couldn't be warmer or friendlier.

Quick Reply: christmas tree effect