Sponsored by:

knee replacement............

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:15 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default knee replacement............

i am looking at this procedure in the next year or so, who can tell me their experience with same...downtime, and yes, of COURSE it is the left knee....alternatively, has anyone retro'ed a PDK in a 964? maybe go whole hog and put in the whole package, like a late 997.2 3.8(X51 of course) with the PDK attached....i mean it IS possible...oder?
Old 10-10-2018, 08:30 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

I had my left knee replaced twice in a year and a half. First time absolutley miserable second time a breeze. I came out of the first one complaining something was wrong no one would listen to me a doctor told me I didn’t know what I was talking about. I was on crutches for 3 months Fortunately I went to physical therapy on the wrong day and got a different person she took one look at my knee and said Your knee is still messed up I’m calling my husband an Ortho guy at the same hospital. He looked and said yep set me up with a different surgeon had the second TKR was off my cane in a week. The moral of this story is it really depends on who does the surgery. I drive my 964 a lot but it is a Tip but don’t think I’d have an issue with a manual, Doo the therapy and go the extra mile on that and I think you will be happy with your new knee Good luck
Old 10-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Your new knee will handle your heavy clutch much better than the old one! You are good to go...

Good luck w it...let us know when you get there.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Sorry to hear. I am on the list for my left knee and hip Dr says I need to have them done within the next 5 years. The knee is more complex but I would wait and see. My friend just had his hip done and 3 months later he is out playing golf better than ever.

And unfortunately your only option is trade it in for a tip.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:28 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I was 34 years old and had suffered in chronic pain from the age of 14 to age 34 (complicated story). 30 days before my 35th birthday I had my hip replaced. On my 35th birthday (ie 30 days later), I jumped in my car (auto) and drove 150 miles to my cottage for the weekend. I was driving stick with a heavy clutch in 90 days. My new hip changed my life. I quit my job (I was a workaholic), found work that was less time taxing.

This was 15 years ago and my hip is still going strong, with no signs of wear. I brisk walk 5 miles 4X per week. I look after all the yard work in my own home and my cottage. Let's just say people would like their homes to be as well kept as my cottage. I am always busy between the cars, the boats and the properties. I can do this because I am no longer in pain.

Get it done!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:06 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

You will be better than new. I'm amazed at how my friends have recovered from these surgeries. My mother-in-law recently had a knee replaced and now he's hiking again after 10 years of being unable to. Modern hip replacement is even more amazing, the recovery period is astonishingly short. Your absence from shifting duties in the 964 will be motivation to come back stronger during your physical therapy! Take care.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:10 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

no tip...thanks for the good vibes, it is still a ways away, but, within a year...and i would say no manual trans is not an option, too good...we'lll see...
Old 10-10-2018, 10:54 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

My fake knee is about the only thing that don’t hurt need both hips done now 😫
Old 10-11-2018, 11:49 AM
salty87
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

The Mrs. is 7 weeks post op from double hip replacement. The day after surgery she walked half of the hospital floor with no assistance. Granted, she's really young to have needed this (<40) and in otherwise great shape. Age, weight and physical condition are huge factors in the recovery. The same day of her procedures the Dr also did knee replacements on 2 men. Neither of them went home after the first night but she did.

The Dr obviously plays a huge part in the recovery. If you haven't settled on a Dr yet find one who has a passion for joint replacement. Lots of ortho's will do the procedure but some just dabble in it. You want the guy who does them routinely so definitely ask...how many knee replacements do you perform each week /month? We found the wife's Dr at a prominent sports medicine office. He was in the middle of transitioning away to another practice so he could focus more on joint replacement. Sprains and muscles, etc didn't interest him. His work history included a fellowship with the Dr who designed the operating table used during the procedure (http://www.mizuhosi.com/products/ort...e-trauma/hana/). We knew we found the right guy and it went off flawlessly.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: knee replacement............