Sponsored by:

Spoiler Motor Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 05:32 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spoiler Motor Bearing Replacement

I've been suffering from a noisy spoiler for a while now. Thinking it was the gearbox causing the problem I decided to have a go at the fix. Split the case and the bearing was totally shot. Replaced it, greased the drive and..............
Well not too bad raising but lowering it was still pretty noisy. Have to admit I was rather disappointed and now I've started I had to carry on and sort it. The gearbox was very smooth but it was clear the noise is coming from the motor.
Searching the forums I found a couple of posts detailing splitting the motor case and replacing the bearing. Must admit I didn't fancy splitting the case and certainly didn't want to shell for a new one. Studying the posts and the images I thought why not cut the end open and try and pull the bearing out. Figured that because the bearing is held on with a c-clip it can't be pressed on like the gearbox. Thinking that if it didn't work I would just carry on and open the case anyway.
It was fairly easy to open the end up and clean the edges to allow the bearing to slide free. The bearing didn't look too bad, no where near as rusty as the gearbox but did feel it had a lot pf play. Removed the c-clip and could feel the inner bearing race would move on the shaft so it should pull out. Next I carefully cut along the case seam so I could gently release the pressure on the outer race. Using a couple of small screwdrivers I gently pressed them in behind the bearing and wriggled it out. Once the bearing is out there is a gap where you push new grease into the gear mech section. Pushed in a new 625 2rs stainless steel bearing and fitted the clip. Tested on the car and it was virtually silent! I had to connect the spoiler drive to make sure it was actually working.
Now the spoiler goes up and down with hardly any sound! Success and only took about an hour to do. Epoxied the end back on, job done.
Hopefully this help anyone who still has a noisy spoiler after replacing the bearing in the gearbox.
The following users liked this post:
Kieron 964 (09-20-2021)
Old 10-06-2018, 08:54 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I've rebuilt numerous 993 spoiler gearboxes for fellow Rennlisters. That said, I've never performed surgery on the motor case.

Nice work!

Andreas
Old 09-20-2021, 12:11 PM
Kieron 964
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks just fixed mine using your post! Thank you! you saved me £400!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2021, 07:43 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

IME This is a better solution than splitting the whole case. It's difficult to clean the case up and ensure that it sticks back together properly after the split.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Motor Bearing Replacement