Sponsored by:

Preparing for a (First) Valve Adjust

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Preparing for a (First) Valve Adjust

As I have the valve cover gasket kit incoming from FCP Euro, figured I should get a little more information together to get ready for my first time adjusting valves.

I've been going through numerous threads on the topic and have a decent understanding of the process, various methods, and points to look for. I'll be utilizing the Kirk Engines tool borrowed from a local PCA member, followed with feeler gauges to ensure consistency.

Now I may have missed it (or haven't found it yet), but with the oil drain to get prepared, is draining the crankcase sufficient or does the tank need to be emptied as well? I would figure the latter.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:08 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Unless you have a way to measure the amount you take out...best to take the safe route and drain as you would a normal oil change.

Fwiw. I always put blue tape over the ignition key slot if i drain the oil and then do work on the car. Reminds me to not make a silly mistake after the car has been sitting. Tape doesn't come off until oil goes in.

Also a good idea to pull the dme relay. Same reason.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:14 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I normally do my valve adjustments in conjunction with oil changes. If you are not changing, you can jack up one side of the car which would cause the oil to shift to the low side, do you adjustments for the high side, reinstall the covers and then do the opposite side.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

You want the engine to be at ambient temperature when measuring clearance, preferably closest to 68F. So the day before you plan to do the valve adjustment just let the crankcase and oil tank drain overnight. If you were to leave the tank filled it would drain into the crankcase and onto your floor. The kirk tool makes the process almost foolproof but it will still take a while for you to build up confidence in what you're doing so why rush? Plus its easier to switch back and forth between banks as you rotate the engine over.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Goughary
Fwiw. I always put blue tape over the ignition key slot if i drain the oil and then do work on the car. Reminds me to not make a silly mistake after the car has been sitting. Tape doesn't come off until oil goes in. Also a good idea to pull the dme relay. Same reason.
Definitely a good idea. I'll likely also pull the negative battery cable.

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I normally do my valve adjustments in conjunction with oil changes. If you are not changing, you can jack up one side of the car which would cause the oil to shift to the low side, do you adjustments for the high side, reinstall the covers and then do the opposite side.
I'm aiming toward that maintenance cycle, working on getting a baseline completed to get started.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
You want the engine to be at ambient temperature when measuring clearance, preferably closest to 68F. So the day before you plan to do the valve adjustment just let the crankcase and oil tank drain overnight. If you were to leave the tank filled it would drain into the crankcase and onto your floor. The kirk tool makes the process almost foolproof but it will still take a while for you to build up confidence in what you're doing so why rush? Plus its easier to switch back and forth between banks as you rotate the engine over.
It'll be a few months before it gets that cool again. Lately ambient has been in the upper 80s to low 90s. For this job I'm certainly not going to rush. It's also a good time for me to change the plugs since I'm in there. As long as I have it ready by the last week of October for Oktoberfast (autocross) I'll be good, otherwise I'll take my 986 instead.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Start on a weekend morning and it’s a relaxing job. No need to disconnect the battery, you’ll have to re-adapt the idle if you do.

My tip, take or leave- I don’t like the nyloc valve cover nuts that typically come in those kits. I use standard, zinc coated, M6 nuts. And use a 1/4” torque wrench. The torque value is, and should be, very low. Oil draining is pretty well covered above.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Nik - i am assuming i know the answer since it seems self evident...

But you haven't had any issue with the torque on the standard m6 nuts changing - it's only 7 ft lbs right?
Old 09-25-2018, 03:44 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

PAG switched (from nylocks) to using all-metal locking nuts in the late 80s.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:54 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Goughary- I haven’t had any leaks or stripped nuts and I’m on original ‘91 valve covers. Did a 3.2L recently and it’s leak free too. The 1/4” torque wrench has been the key for me. A 3/8” wrench isn’t accurate enough at 7ftlbs, it might be torquing at double or more.

Jason, I’ve seen a lot of gasket kits come with nyloc nuts. Pelican and others. Not sure why.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:08 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -nick
Jason, I’ve seen a lot of gasket kits come with nyloc nuts. Pelican and others. Not sure why.

Nylocs were used prior to the 3.6 engine but when they changed the gaskets and valve covers for the (NA) 964 they switched to the all metal style locking nuts. Wish I knew the reason too! But I don't put any stock in things sold by Pelican or most other retailers. It took over a year to get them to acknowledge they had been (for years) selling people the wrong replacement belt for the dual distributor. I could go on and on...

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 09-25-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:33 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deserion
I'll be utilizing the Kirk Engines tool borrowed from a local PCA member, followed with feeler gauges to ensure consistency.
I also have the Kirk tool, but to be honest I had more trouble with that than just using proper feeler guages. When I used it, it felt like that tool would be better on a engine stand, but it could have been how I used it. Don't be afraid to just go back to the regular procedure if something seems amiss.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:20 AM
ALLPRO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you guide the steps?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:22 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by -nick
My tip, take or leave- I don’t like the nyloc valve cover nuts that typically come in those kits. I use standard, zinc coated, M6 nuts. And use a 1/4” torque wrench. The torque value is, and should be, very low. Oil draining is pretty well covered above.
The kit will be in tomorrow. If it has the nylocs, I'll add the regular M6 nuts to my Belmetric order. Luckily I do have a 1/4" torque wrench on-hand.

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
I also have the Kirk tool, but to be honest I had more trouble with that than just using proper feeler guages. When I used it, it felt like that tool would be better on a engine stand, but it could have been how I used it. Don't be afraid to just go back to the regular procedure if something seems amiss.
Guaranteed I'll check, re-check, and re-re-check each valve before wrapping up the project.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Ended up buying a Kirk tool and the specific feeler gauges (the other guy didn't respond - maybe I emailed the wrong address?) and those showed up today. I'll apply some Aerokroil to the exhaust and engine tin hardware to let it soak in for a day or two before getting started.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Aerokroil is awesome stuff.

Quick Reply: Preparing for a (First) Valve Adjust