Installing a 5.25in speaker in the rear of a cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installing a 5.25in speaker in the rear of a cab

I think a few folks have installed bigger speakers in the rear of their cars in place of the original speaker.

I looked at doing this on my cab and it looked like it would press against the seat belt. Has anyone any top tips on how to do this safely?
Old 01-21-2004, 02:25 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't bother trying to put better speakers in the side panels. You'll have to hack up the panels to get 5.25's to fit and, in any event, there's some component behind the left rear speaker that prevents mounting any speaker with a greater depth than the factory 4 inch speaker.

I got the Car Audio Innovations enclosures for my C2 cab - they sound great and look factory.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I have 5.25" speakers installed in the back panels of my C4 cab. The installer had to cut larger holes. However, we learned that the real challenge the amount of available depth for the larger speakers. In the end, the installer had to use spacers to bring the larger speaker out so that it would clear the cabrio mechanism.

Overall, I'm happy with the result. The spacers are only about 1/4 inch thick and are not noticable. I'm very happy with the sound quality of the higher quality componets relative to the factor speakers.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:06 PM
WilliamO
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also got 5.25" speakers in back. I have the rear seat delete in the back of my cab, so there were no seat belt issues. Like Rob, I also had to use a spacer to make sure the rear of the speaker clears all the hardware. I also had to chip away a small amount of the side panels.

I did the same on my 993 cab w/ rear seats. On that install, though, I had to use two spacers in order to get it to fit.

I initially tried 4" components in back, but they just couldn't keep up with the 6.5" up front without distorting...

-w
Old 01-21-2004, 07:07 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Use MB Quart QM speakers. They come with a spacers that is about an inch to one half of an inch thick and this pulls the back of the speaker basket off of the seat belt area. Plus, they are great soundung speakers.

I use them. Without the specer, uou would be relgated to using a very shallow basketed spekear which would probably sound like sh*t.

Last edited by Doug H; 01-21-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:02 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Doug H
...They come wutgh a speaers that is about a half of an inch ...
Really - wow!
Old 01-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Sorry:

That is funny stuff. I was typing while talking on phone and . . .

THe MBs QM seriers has an about 1 inch spacer that mounts the speaker grill about 1 inch off of the surface. This brings the spker basket out about one inch from the sealt belt so there is plenty of room for the install with the spacer mount.

Quick Reply: Installing a 5.25in speaker in the rear of a cab