Sponsored by:

Weird elecktrickal issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird elecktrickal issue

Had a rear LH turn signal bulb (1156) fail (or so I thought) on my C2. Replaced the bulb with a spiffing LED, got a fast-flashing signal. When the 4-way hazard flasher is turned on, all 4 corners flash at the normal speed. So I found a brand-new 1156 incandescent. No photons visible. So I checked all the relevant fuses, and all are good. Wiring looks intact. Connectors clean (I cleaned 'em,just to be sure).

So, given that the proper bulb has a single filament, why does the installation of an LED bulb work (though flashing @ double speed), but an incandescent not work? Color me 'baffled' ... and illuminate me.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:26 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, describing the issue in terms of visible photons deserves some sort of award. I have none to offer, but is there any chance the bulb stays on the outside of the brass are not correctly aligned causing the bulb to not actually make contact? If one bulb works, but another doesn't, I can't see much else that would make it not.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Normandy 964
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fast flashing is beacuse the LED draws less current than the incandescent bulb. You have to add a load resistor so that it consumes the same current as a bulb.
e.g.
Load Resistors Load Resistors

First try swapping the bulbs from the left and right indicators just to be sure that both bulbs are working....maybe the new bulb is dead too !
If both bulbs are OK then I think that there is a poor connection somewhere.
A poor connection could cause the voltage to be low. If the voltage is low I would expect that the LED will light up anyway, the incandesent will be so dim you can't see it.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I put LED in my entire car (except headlights) Just get a flasher that is LED friendly. The flasher relay is located in the center console, remove the small panel on right side, it's right there. Mine flash fine, when I had stock relay they flashed super fast. This is better than a load resistor.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Normandy 964
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool, I was wondering if a special relay existed.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:42 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I used this one and it works great. Plug and play.

Quick Reply: Weird elecktrickal issue