Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible 1989 c4 coupe purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:36 AM
CWALLCARS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible 1989 c4 coupe purchase

I am currently searching for a nice, but not perfect, 964 C4 coupe at a reasonable price. I am not looking for a garage queen, but rather a car that has been driven and has most of the kinks sorted out mechanically. The car doesn't have to be perfect cosmetically.

I have located one near me in Los Angeles that is 1989 black/tan C4 coupe, 106K miles, recent valve job, service records, etc. Upgrades include bilstein shocks, H& R springs, muffler bypass, turbo tail, H4 conversion, K&N filter. Owner needs to sell fast and is asking $15K

Of course I will get a PPI if I can agree with seller on price, etc. What are common problems/issues to look out for with this model year, as well as AWD?

Thank you,

Colin
Old 01-21-2004, 03:12 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do indeed buy this car for $15k and everything checks out well, that's quite a bit of performance for not too much money. You can spend that on a new Honda Civic and then some...

Anyway, the '89 C4 did not have the dual mass flywheel, so that problem is not present. It can have the cylinder to head leak, though this is rare. The motor should be inspected in those areas during the PPI to be safe.

The dual distributor belt needs to be replaced every 5 years or 50,000 miles. If that has not been done, it should be done immediately on this car. The distributors will need the vent kit installed as well ($15 in parts and a 1/2 hr of labor).

Insure all electrical systems work and all accessories work. Those can be expensive to repair.

The AWD system is quite robust, but I'll let C4 owners respond to this area of the car...

Other than that, check all of the usual used car items. Brakes, tires, plastic trim, belts, rubber hoses, rubber trim, condition of leather/cloth, A/C operation, defrost, lighting, clutch, etc. etc.

Good luck,

Jay
90 964

P.S. Some say toss the K&N and put in a OEM paper filter. The paper filter probably provides better performance anyway.

Quick Reply: Possible 1989 c4 coupe purchase