Sponsored by:

How to Set Rake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 06:37 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Set Rake?

I am wondering how others have set the rake on their cars as part of setting the ride height? I have only found general info on the forum - have a .5% to 1% rake and measure the rake by using a level on the door sills(?).

I am getting ready to install Eibach's Pro Kit springs, which claim to lower the front 1.3" front and 1" rear. My ride height is currently 171-173 mm front and 259-260 mm rear. Using a level it looks like this has negative rake right now - the front is higher than the back (I think due to sagging original rear springs).

Is there a more exact way to set the rake using the ride height numbers? I'm looking for something around RS+15 (140/238) or higher after I install the springs (with newer Bilstein HD struts/shocks installed last year). I would think 140-5 at the front and 238+5 at the rear would be more quantitative for setting the rake than using a level on the door sills.

Any thoughts and/or experience appreciated.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:59 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Is there a reason, you are not using the factory workshop manuals? They describe how to set and measure the ride height. If you want to be higher than RS, then just add xx milimeters to the RS settings, both front & rear.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:52 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Sure, I reviewed the workshop manual so I know the ride height specs for US, ROW, and RS and where to measure. What I was wondering was how the rake from front to rear is determined. For example, could I assume that if I set the front height exactly at ROW spec 165mm and set the rear height exactly at ROW 258mm then the rake would be correct (approx 1%)? Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I've seen the mention of a 1% rake before too but not sure how or where its measured.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Keep in mind that the 1% rake thing , and all the suspension settings, are relative to the movements in the suspension under load. So if you have a stiff suspension and heavy sway bars and basic street tires...your suspension will not move much under load, and therefore your suspension settings in terms of camber, rake, etc don't need to be extreme.

I wouldn't sweat it too much on a street car. I hear what you are saying in terms of how to measure the rake, since there are no straight line points to measure from. But I'd go with the factory settings for ride height as a benchmark, and start from there.

If you are tracking the car, and are trying to gain a tenth of a second in a lap time on a particular track on a 65 degree humid day with no sun...ok, i get it, settings get very particular. But for street...not so much. Set it so it feels and looks right to you (within reason). And fuggedbahdiiii....
Old 09-18-2018, 11:21 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. I agree it's reasonable to assume that setting at factory height specs (using the same +/-) for front and rear should set the proper rake (or at least certainly be close enough for my need). Presumably Porsche engineers determined that when they set the ride height specs. This would also explain explain why there is no official info on determining the car's rake.

Quick Reply: How to Set Rake?