Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Joys of selling a 964 on Craigslist.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 03:22 PM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Default The Joys of selling a 964 on Craigslist.

So I did a thing this morning. I put my 964 on Craigslist and I shot for the MOON!
I have a real offer on the table. Good money, But more money it always better.
The offer would have been amazing if it was a month ago before I spend a bunch of money on the thing.

But my questions is, even though the asking price it high.. Why do people get offended by it?
I'm getting emails and texts with upset people saying I'm asking too much. WHO CARES..Don't buy it and move on....

I'm waiting for a serious buyer to ask the right questions, and have a real conversation about the car. Until then... The price stays the same.

Thoughts?

Here is a link for reference.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/c...696727988.html

Old 09-13-2018, 03:29 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

The ratio of time wasters and scammers to serious buyers is really high on Craigslist.
I don't think your starting price is crazy, but doubt you will find much luck listing it there.
If you're serious about selling the car, there are better options.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 150 Posts

Great talking to you Keith, good luck with the sale, this car shouldn't be on CL, take it off there, make a good ad here on Rennlist, or if you have the time put it on BAT, CL is nothing but headaches. I think it will sell on rennlist real quick.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:56 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 231 Posts

FWIW - I found the firs 964 that I pursued on Craigslist. I was new to the game and he was asking a 'LOT" $42k for an amazon green/grey interior C2 manual... Someone beat me to it.

Do people do sell these on CL and real buyers do pull the trigger. If you can sort through the scams and robo-emails, you might find something.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:06 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

If the motor is good, i don't think you are far off on the price. Of course people will say otherwise. But right buyer in the room and 60k if it doesn't need a top end rebuild, and if nothing major is wrong w it...isn't a terrible price.

Good luck w the sale.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:15 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I would have asked for 70, you know bonus money for those LMs.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:42 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

It would definitely sell better if you sold me those BBS
Old 09-13-2018, 04:52 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
True, but he'd have better karma, and ultimately sell for more money if he GAVE them to me
Old 09-13-2018, 05:22 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

also I love selling on CL
Old 09-13-2018, 05:38 PM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What would help with any listing in general is the more photos the better. This is real response someone sent when I asked for a photo of the bumper and hood:
"You will have to wait till the weekend I you want more pics, as I am a very busy man. This car is mint for a car that has 42k miles on the clock. Are there hairline love scratches? Are there a few touch ups the size of a millimeter? Are there a few very faint chips on the wheels? " I was like seriously? Do you want to sell the car? Can't say Mint in same sentence followed by a list of items that create more questions.

Your car looks great and the description is perfect, but I would want to see ton more things. I suggest setting up a free dropbox that has everything so you can just send a link quickly to anyone who asks that has photos/history/COA/Close up of each wheel/etc... This way you are not answering the 100s of questions individually. Someone interested, just end them the dropbox link - doesn't waste more than 30 secs of your time.

GLWS

Brandon
Old 09-13-2018, 05:52 PM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 108 Posts

You need to part those LM’s on a serperate sale. You’ll get the most money that way.
sad to see you post it for sale. Best of luck! Should of asked $70k.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:57 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by JesusFast
So I did a thing this morning. I put my 964 on Craigslist and I shot for the MOON!
I have a real offer on the table. Good money, But more money it always better.
The offer would have been amazing if it was a month ago before I spend a bunch of money on the thing.

But my questions is, even though the asking price it high.. Why do people get offended by it?
I'm getting emails and texts with upset people saying I'm asking too much. WHO CARES..Don't buy it and move on....

I'm waiting for a serious buyer to ask the right questions, and have a real conversation about the car. Until then... The price stays the same.

Thoughts?

Here is a link for reference.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/c...696727988.html

They get offended because they can't afford it. There tons of bottom feeders in the 964 coupe market right now.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:38 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I actually agree on the wheels. Throw a set of cup 1 on the car and sell the bbs separately. Smart if you have the cups. If not, idk. Cuz you get less with d90. So who knows
Old 09-13-2018, 06:42 PM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
The ratio of time wasters and scammers to serious buyers is really high on Craigslist.
I don't think your starting price is crazy, but doubt you will find much luck listing it there.
If you're serious about selling the car, there are better options.
I agree.
I need to take real photos and come up with a real ad.

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Great talking to you Keith, good luck with the sale, this car shouldn't be on CL, take it off there, make a good ad here on Rennlist, or if you have the time put it on BAT, CL is nothing but headaches. I think it will sell on rennlist real quick.
Yes it was great to hear some positive feedback. And your right I will regret selling.

Originally Posted by jeff33702
FWIW - I found the firs 964 that I pursued on Craigslist. I was new to the game and he was asking a 'LOT" $42k for an amazon green/grey interior C2 manual... Someone beat me to it.

Do people do sell these on CL and real buyers do pull the trigger. If you can sort through the scams and robo-emails, you might find something.
Yea for sure. It boils down to educated buyers.

Originally Posted by Goughary
If the motor is good, i don't think you are far off on the price. Of course people will say otherwise. But right buyer in the room and 60k if it doesn't need a top end rebuild, and if nothing major is wrong w it...isn't a terrible price.
Good luck w the sale.
The motor is great! And it has been resealed at some point.. But Paperwork is this cars down fall.

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
I would have asked for 70, you know bonus money for those LMs.
HAHAHAH

Can I think about it? lol

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
True, but he'd have better karma, and ultimately sell for more money if he GAVE them to me
Oh man...

also I love selling on CL
lol

Originally Posted by nodnarb204
What would help with any listing in general is the more photos the better. This is real response someone sent when I asked for a photo of the bumper and hood:
"You will have to wait till the weekend I you want more pics, as I am a very busy man. This car is mint for a car that has 42k miles on the clock. Are there hairline love scratches? Are there a few touch ups the size of a millimeter? Are there a few very faint chips on the wheels? " I was like seriously? Do you want to sell the car? Can't say Mint in same sentence followed by a list of items that create more questions.

Your car looks great and the description is perfect, but I would want to see ton more things. I suggest setting up a free dropbox that has everything so you can just send a link quickly to anyone who asks that has photos/history/COA/Close up of each wheel/etc... This way you are not answering the 100s of questions individually. Someone interested, just end them the dropbox link - doesn't waste more than 30 secs of your time.

GLWS

Brandon
I agree. I through it randomly to get some feelers out.
I need to spent some time and get real photos and info.

Originally Posted by 911 jared
You need to part those LM’s on a serperate sale. You’ll get the most money that way.
sad to see you post it for sale. Best of luck! Should of asked $70k.
Yea I have to get some other wheels then... and I'm lazy.. and My second child was due on the 11th....I HAVE NO TIME LOL

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
They get offended because they can't afford it. There tons of bottom feeders in the 964 coupe market right now.
I think that what is comes down to. People out there with lower budgets and they get mad that they can swing it. I understand what there going though, but I don't know why they have to try and
prove that my car isn't worth what I'm asking.

I'm realistic about it.
I know the Bad's and the good's of my car.
I'm open to fair offers.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Craigslist is 99.9% bull**** artists with no money. Half the time you can't even buy anything off of there.

Quick Reply: The Joys of selling a 964 on Craigslist.