Tool for removing rear shock mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:34 PM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Tool for removing rear shock mounts

Hello,

Can someone help me find the tool for removing the rear shock mounts? I have pass-thru sockets for removing the fronts, but the rears have this stud that's flat on the sides and rounded on the ends. I've tried to remove these on previous cars with vice grips, and end up damaging the stud. I can vice-grip the shock tube, but I'd rather keep everything in good shape.

Here's a picture for reference.

Thank you!

Old 09-11-2018, 06:53 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 279 Likes on 162 Posts

Soak it in penatrating oil.
Why not remove from the car before you try breaking that nut loose. That is how I did mine
Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

you brake that nut loose in the car the coil springs going to fly out. remove from the car as a unit then use a spring compressor to hold the spring then remove the nut.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:00 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wallra
you brake that nut loose in the car the coil springs going to fly out. remove from the car as a unit then use a spring compressor to hold the spring then remove the nut.
with weight on the suspension probably not but look out when you jack her up there she blows
Am I wrong or is it a 90 or earlier car ?
Old 09-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK964

with weight on the suspension probably not but look out when you jack her up there she blows
Am I wrong or is it a 90 or earlier car ?
Looks like a later mount to me.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
I haven’t seen the top of my rear shocks for quite some time so I went and peaked and I do believe you are correct Thank You👍
Old 09-12-2018, 01:32 AM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Soak it in penatrating oil.
Why not remove from the car before you try breaking that nut loose. That is how I did mine
My new suspension hasn't arrived yet - I'm preparing so that I'm ready with the proper tools when the suspension gets here. I will most definitely take the whole shock out of the car before trying to remove the nut.

Penetrating oil would probably help, but how do I grip the funky stud (flat on sides, rounded on ends) properly, so that I don't destroy it? I don't know what tool would hold that piece in place, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:33 AM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

I haven’t seen the top of my rear shocks for quite some time so I went and peaked and I do believe you are correct Thank You👍
Originally Posted by Ralph3.
It's a later mount - '93 RS America.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:51 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

Here is a pic of mine apart. I suggest you soak the nut, yours is a bit rusty. Nothing special about the nut and holder. I used a high quality adjustable spanner (you can just see it) to hold the flat flange while I turned the nut. It is not that high torque. It is much better system than the front and the silly 7mm hex.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:57 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jskylarwilson
My new suspension hasn't arrived yet - I'm preparing so that I'm ready with the proper tools when the suspension gets here. I will most definitely take the whole shock out of the car before trying to remove the nut.

Penetrating oil would probably help, but how do I grip the funky stud (flat on sides, rounded on ends) properly, so that I don't destroy it? I don't know what tool would hold that piece in place, and that's what I'm trying to figure out.
It is part of old shock if your replacing them no reason to worry that little end is knackered. It’s been a bit but I think I ended up grabbing the shock shaft with vice grips but my shocks were totally shot
Old 09-12-2018, 01:00 PM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

I found the socket for the stud. I'm not sure of the fit, but here's what I was looking for:
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-12-2018, 01:08 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have simply used an impact gun for other cars. The key is to relive the tension with suicide sticks so the springs don't go flying.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:37 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

There are three small 13 mm nuts on the top mount for the assembly. Take the bolt at the bottom of the strut assembly out of the trailing arm. Then remove the three 13mm nuts. The entire strut assembly comes out.

Then, if you don't have the proper and safe tools to compress the springs, take the assembly to a shop to have them take the top hat off if that is what you need to do.

I don't have a good safe spring compressor tool, so this is what i do. It's the way i stay alive. Don't mess with springs under pressure unless you know exactly what you are doing. Any shop will charge you 20 dollars to take them apart. So it's not worth the risk.

I say this, cuz it seems from what you posted, that you want to take the center nut off while the strut assembly is in the car. And this is the wrong way. If I'm missing something, lemme know.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:37 PM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
I have simply used an impact gun for other cars. The key is to relive the tension with suicide sticks so the springs don't go flying.
I've tried that on other shocks, and the Piston just spins. This tool above should do the trick.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:43 PM
jskylarwilson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary
There are three small 13 mm nuts on the top mount for the assembly. Take the bolt at the bottom of the strut assembly out of the trailing arm. Then remove the three 13mm nuts. The entire strut assembly comes out.

Then, if you don't have the proper and safe tools to compress the springs, take the assembly to a shop to have them take the top hat off if that is what you need to do.

I don't have a good safe spring compressor tool, so this is what i do. It's the way i stay alive. Don't mess with springs under pressure unless you know exactly what you are doing. Any shop will charge you 20 dollars to take them apart. So it's not worth the risk.

I say this cuz it seems from what you posted that you want to take the center but off while the strut assembly is in the car. And this is the wrong way. If I'm missing something, lemme know.
I've taken these apart on 993s, but not on a 964. I vice gripped the Piston, but didn't want to do that on this car. I have a spring compressor, and can do the work no problem.

The assembly will come off the car before I try to dismantle. The picture was while the shock was in the car because I haven't taken it out yet. That seemed to confuse a lot of people.

The question was looking for the tool/bit to hold the stud so that I can hold it when I'm ready to do the work, so I can reuse the shock mounts. I found one, so I should be good to go. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Tool for removing rear shock mounts