Sponsored by:

H4 headlight fitment issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 06:54 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default H4 headlight fitment issues

What I thought was going to be an easy swap of my H5 headlights to H4s, turned into hours of frustration, cursing and eventually aborting the mission and putting H5s back on.
I could not get the bottom mounting screw to align with the angle of the bottom tab on the car. Tried seating the top of the headlight into the tab first but the mounting tab seems to be angled too far towards the rear of the car because the screw on the H4 angles upwards.

Any tips on what to do? Seems like the bottom tab needs to be bent towards the front of the car to accept the angle of the screw. Am I losing my mind over this?
Old 09-08-2018, 08:45 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You answered your own question, you need to bend the tab a little to the correct angle.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It also helps to put an ice pick or something similar through the mounting ring and mounting tab and then put assembly on the bucket..
Old 09-08-2018, 10:05 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpar
You answered your own question, you need to bend the tab a little to the correct angle.
Bending metal tabs always get me worried about breaking them off. Will have to crack a beer or two before attempting the second go around at installation.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:26 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

That damn screw! It’s a pan in the butt. Gotta bend the tabs a bit....
Old 09-09-2018, 01:03 AM
salty87
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

It shouldn't need to be bent much so don't go all Incredible Hulk on it. Definitely frustrating when a 5 min job turns into hours.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:07 AM
will1831
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same issue on mine. @gregmitch, did you try to bend it a little ? Did you succeed in fitting the headlight correctly? I'm giving a try this weekend.
By the way, beside the isue with that screw, did you manage to fit it perfectly ? I mean, did you manage to have no space between the seal and the headlight itself ?
For some reasons, I have a little space on both my headlight, just like something is blocking the headlight to go deeper on the spot.

Will
Old 09-14-2018, 10:50 AM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by will1831
I'm having the same issue on mine. @gregmitch, did you try to bend it a little ? Did you succeed in fitting the headlight correctly? I'm giving a try this weekend.
By the way, beside the isue with that screw, did you manage to fit it perfectly ? I mean, did you manage to have no space between the seal and the headlight itself ?
For some reasons, I have a little space on both my headlight, just like something is blocking the headlight to go deeper on the spot.

Will
I haven't went back to try and reinstall the headlights yet. A second set of hands made it easier to help get the top side of the headlight to sit on the little tab that's around the edge of the fender and to stretch the gasket around.
It was more flush than my H5s but then again, I didn't have the headlights properly mounted due to pulling my hair out getting the screw to line up. Make sure the gasket isn't twisted too.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:11 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 68 Posts

Side question, where did you source the H4's?
Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weekndr.porsche
Side question, where did you source the H4's?
Originally I was trying to find a used set but those were very tough to find at a decent price and quality. I even tried searching eBay in Europe.
Ended up getting a full brand new package from Vertex Auto which includes everything that's needed, except for the H4/H5 adapter which you can get from Pelican or on eBay. I will ultimately end up having the trim rings painted to match that car, so I opted not to get the more expensive black trim and went with chrome since it'll be covered.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:37 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregmitch
Originally I was trying to find a used set but those were very tough to find at a decent price and quality. I even tried searching eBay in Europe.
Ended up getting a full brand new package from Vertex Auto which includes everything that's needed, except for the H4/H5 adapter which you can get from Pelican or on eBay. I will ultimately end up having the trim rings painted to match that car, so I opted not to get the more expensive black trim and went with chrome since it'll be covered.
Awesome, thanks for the link.
Do the lenses still say Bosch on them?
Old 09-14-2018, 03:45 PM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weekndr.porsche
Awesome, thanks for the link.
Do the lenses still say Bosch on them?
No, they are Magneti Marelli/Automotive Lighting. I'm under the impression that Bosch doesn't actually make them new anymore and Automotive Lighting does now which I think is a Bosch/Magneti Marelli joint venture.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:34 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gregmitch
No, they are Magneti Marelli/Automotive Lighting. I'm under the impression that Bosch doesn't actually make them new anymore and Automotive Lighting does now which I think is a Bosch/Magneti Marelli joint venture.
Thanks, keep us updated on the install.
I will be trying my hand at this as well.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:46 AM
will1831
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do agree that working with two pair of hands makes the job easier.
I worked on mine yesterday, alone... what a pain. But i finally managed to fix all my issues.
--> I used the 99950731212 (999.507.312.12) captive nut, order at Porsche center, to solve my issue with the screw thread on the body. watch out, because screwing and unscrewing might lead you to a non working screw thread on the body.
I did bend (towards the inside) that piece a little too, but i guess just 1 or 2 mm was sufficient. Even just 1mm i believe.
I manage to close the gap I had since the begining that i swapped H5s to H4s between the joint seal and the headlight itself.

I hope this helps anyone further, as it has been a nightmare to me until i found the captive nut solution

no gap anymore between the headlight and joint seal.

captive nut in place

captive nut in place
The following users liked this post:
TheAbeFroman (09-15-2021)
Old 09-16-2018, 06:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

The captive nut solution worked for me as well. The screw is quite difficult to line up and years of misguided line up bores out the threaded area on the tab so the captive nut is the only option.

Quick Reply: H4 headlight fitment issues