Sponsored by:

Welding targa top in permanently

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:54 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Welding targa top in permanently

I know this may seem like a crazy idea but I am wondering if anyone has ever welded a targa top into place. I rarely take my top out, the wind noise from the targa top, it leaks in the rain, and I would get a little extra stiffness.
Just curious if anyone has been down this road.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Why not sell it and buy a coupe? There’s lots of demand for nice Targa’s and plenty of nice coupes available to purchase. You’ll need to spend up for the coupe but I would think by the time you weld a targa top into the front/rear frames you’re going to be spending at least a few grand and also hurting the resale value by at least $10k.

Just a thought...
Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,162 Likes on 833 Posts

Weld it in and you will take it out even more rarely 😂
Old 09-04-2018, 11:51 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 161 Posts

i thought i'd heard it all! lol..
Old 09-04-2018, 11:59 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Why not just buy a hard targa top?

Otherwise sell it and buy a coupe. Don't destroy a good targa.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:44 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Weld it in and you will take it out even more rarely 😂
Lol, yep, that would be true. The question was just bit of a curiosity. I've owned by 964 for 10 years, have done all maintenance and updates myself, know its quirks and character, so don't want to sell.
However, the excessive wind noise and water leaking have always bothered me a little. I had the top refurbished a long time ago when I didn't know much yet by Dan but it still leaks. Maybe I just need to start from scratch and take it slow

So no, there are no plans to destroy a perfectly good Targa.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:55 AM
Goughary
Race Car

What about a small faring added to the upper window just ahead of the top. Just enough to throw the air over the lip? That could be interesting
Old 09-05-2018, 09:59 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck
Lol, yep, that would be true. The question was just bit of a curiosity. I've owned by 964 for 10 years, have done all maintenance and updates myself, know its quirks and character, so don't want to sell.
However, the excessive wind noise and water leaking have always bothered me a little. I had the top refurbished a long time ago when I didn't know much yet by Dan but it still leaks. Maybe I just need to start from scratch and take it slow

How bad are the leaks? When I got mine the footweels were swimming pools after 30 mins of rain. They are mostly dry now after lots of fettling. Certainly dry enough to live with. The wind noise however is a bind.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
What about a small faring added to the upper window just ahead of the top. Just enough to throw the air over the lip? That could be interesting
Thin strip of Plexiglas and aluminum L brackets to secure to the locating pins. Hmm.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Yep. But then again, there is always duct tape.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I cut the targa bar off an old 911 with a 9" grinder.

Got a 911 roof from the junkyard for $75.

Cut the sunroof parts out and welded in a panel.

Dry and happy now!
Old 09-05-2018, 10:18 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Or...as long as we are speaking hypothetically- the other way is to remove the targa bar and rear glass and adding a d Morris hard top. At least that's reversible later. And the d Morris top is fantastic.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:44 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ffc
How bad are the leaks? When I got mine the footweels were swimming pools after 30 mins of rain. They are mostly dry now after lots of fettling. Certainly dry enough to live with. The wind noise however is a bind.
It starts dripping water every time it rains from the corners where the targa top, windshield, door come together. It is not a stream but enough to get my arm and pants wet. I usually stuff a towel in the corner held up by the sun visor. Not an elegant solution to be sure. Problem is that air is pressing water all over the place and it's not immediately obvious where the leak is so it's hard to reproduce the leaks with a garden hose.

I am intrigued by the d Moris hardtop idea though. Need to look into pricing and shipping options. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by cjoenck

Post up some pics of your car when you can, would love to see it!

I just had my top redone by Dan also and the results are excellent. I haven’t had it past 60mph yet (waiting for the top to set itself up on the car) but I will this coming weekend and I’ll report back if there’s any wind noise. At 60 it is quiet except for the air rushing past the top (similar to convertible noise). I do notice a slight amount of creaking with the top on and I’m not sure if that’s the top interacting with the cars frame?

Anyways it might be worth talking with Dan again and mentioning the issues. He knows enough that he might be able to guide you through the necessary repairs.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Btw- there is a shop manual insert called something to the effect of "sealing a 964" that runs through all the seals specifically- pm me if you like and I'll shoot you some info later if i can dig it out.

Quick Reply: Welding targa top in permanently