Sudden Engine Loss @ Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 10:49 PM
john thompson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Engine Loss @ Cruise

Hi all my Porsche friends,

I think I have a small problem and need some help to diagnosis it.
My 1991 C4 has 92,000mi on it. I feels great to drive. Today I had to drive 130 mi to work...
The last 70 mi. I use the cruise control as the driving is all freeway driving, no winding road! 5th gear.....80mph.....suddenly lost all power! Pulled over with out any problems....Sat for a few minutes. Car started right up....
So...ok...next few miles I cruised at 70mph in 4th gear, didn't use the cruise control and no problems develped. Then I tried cutting in the cruise control...stil 4th gear....after a few miles....same thing happened.

Now I was a bit shaken up. Drove the rest of the way with out cruise control..5th gear 80 mph with out any problems.

Made the reverse trip with out cruise control....Drove many different speeds all without any problem. I did test the cruise control just to be sure it was still working and it was. Car accelerates as quickly as ever...goes just as fast (hit 130mph for awhile!) Love this car but need some guideance on this one please.

BTW....I am lucky enough to be paid by the hour for my weekend commutes to work..including while driving my baby!

Adios,
John
Rockport, TEXAS 75deg F today!
Old 01-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi John:

Sounds like you are in for some basic troubleshooting. I'd say that some switches are intermittent due to age,...

Check out the pedal switches first, then the actuator in the engine compartment. Lastly, I'd check the engagement switch in the steering column.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear John,
I reckon it is your engine mounted cruise control drive unit winding off the power. As Steve says and is totally correct, why? will take some troubleshooting.
My first and best guess is you need to check the clutch operated micro switch on the pedal assembly. From your post it is clearly a cruise control caused issue so we start cheap and work towards expensive.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-18-2004, 10:54 PM
john thompson
Advanced

Hey guys,
Thanks so much. Now I know why I bought the "book". I don't want trouble but is surely is nice to have friends to help sort these things out. So glad I don't have to rely on the official Porsche 8 vol. piece of junk! Not even any very good pictures.

Wil let the board know what I find.

John
Old 01-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Gilbasa
Advanced

Hey John

In the three years I have had my 1990 C-2 this has happened to me before on three seperate occasions. It felt as if the gas was completely cut off from the engine. but then after a second or so it came right back. I never had it checked out. Don't know why, but it hasn't happened for some time now and my car runs just fine.

Quick Reply: Sudden Engine Loss @ Cruise