Change interior colour or trade beige for black

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 06:39 AM
Ehcsrop469
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change interior colour or trade beige for black

hello
ive been following the forum for some time, finally about to purchase a 964. I found a great car but it has a beige interior. I'm not here to bash beige but I don't care for it and prefer black.

Curios if if anyone has ever redone the leather with some kind of kit and then just bought new carpet set. Or I think it would be far easier to just trade someone straight across. The interior is mint condition and although it would take some time a trade would be best.

Succes rate are for those that have re-dyed beige to black? The kits on offer and a google research shows some impressive results.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2018, 08:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I agree I am a die hard black interior fan. I find light colors to difficult to keep clean and I just prefer black. That being said I have two Amazon green Porsche's with Cashmere interior. The 928 has a lot of black accents which made it more bearable than the 964. If my car was higher miles I would care less but it is a relatively low mile example so I decided not to rip up the carpet which is a lot of work. Instead I switched out some easy to change parts and kept the original parts. It tones down the beige a bit and works for me. Not for everyone but I don't notice the interior much when driving.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:40 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Changing the interior color is not all that hard. There are a number of good carpet kits available that fit really well. If the foam in the seats is still good, there is a leather kit you can install yourself as well. If the foam is shot, seats get a little harder to do. Finally, the door panel pieces can be spray painted and come out well. I did the whole thing in two weekends.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:12 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Ehcsrop469
hello
ive been following the forum for some time, finally about to purchase a 964. I found a great car but it has a beige interior. I'm not here to bash beige but I don't care for it and prefer black.

Curios if if anyone has ever redone the leather with some kind of kit and then just bought new carpet set. Or I think it would be far easier to just trade someone straight across. The interior is mint condition and although it would take some time a trade would be best.

Succes rate are for those that have re-dyed beige to black? The kits on offer and a google research shows some impressive results.

Thanks
Don;t let the interior coolr stop you. But rather than a dye-job, consider installing new black seats (pole positions if you fit). Black car mats is another quick fix. Better still, do an RS carpet in black and you can remove the rear dashboard as well. Black RS door cards. Lower dash delete and replace with Rennlin black. Etc., etc.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:28 PM
1st State 993
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree with Foxman, you should recover rather than dye.
I felt the same way about the classic grey interior in my 993, so I changed it to (mostly)black. Most of the upholstery was done by Classic 9.

Before - 50 shades of classic grey

Old 08-20-2018, 08:31 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I actually used color plus and dyed my seats and arm rests. No issues whatsoever but they are leather.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:45 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Totally with you - Linen colour interior fine when no doubt new, 25 years later of use then not (unless parked up in a museum). Took my time acquiring seats and all interior panelling then silverknit carpet set from Lakewell. The interior stip out was revealing and I was pretty methodical with this - removing then replacing damaged sound insultaion, cutting out dead audio and aftermarket alarm cabling. Loads of hidden improvements and tidying up.

Full swap out below;

https://goo.gl/photos/tvQcbRHcM3gmprzM7

Good luck. A good move imho..

Quick Reply: Change interior colour or trade beige for black